Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Advice for "everyday" jacket that can be used while wading

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Re: Advice for "everyday" jacket that can be used while wadi

Postby achilles38 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I always take my North Face jacket with me if there is any chance of rain, or even cool weather. It's comfy and fairly warm, very lightweight and easy to store when not in use. Works great in heavy rain and wind, tested is Bishop Creek during a massive thunderstorm a few years ago when we had to tie down the tents because they were blowing away and flooding all at the same time. If its really cold I'll wear a fleece pullover under it, or layer appropriately. Its a very lightweight, thin jacket but completely waterproof. It has a hood, but I never use it since I always fish and hike with my felt hat that is awesome.

Do what has been mentioned and try it on and move accordingly. Mine has velcro straps at the wrist so I can tighten or loosen it, which I love. A little long in the sleeves so I can cast, move, etc freely without my wrist being exposed (I also wear it over layers when snow sledding with my kids).

Here's the closest to what I have. I've had mine for 3-4 years, can't remember but its done its job. http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-venture-parka_2.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search&variationId=ME5
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby CJOttawa » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 am

please delete
Last edited by CJOttawa on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CJOttawa

Postby pechelman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 am

as a self-admitted gear geek/backcountry skier, especially concerning outerwear, here's my input

brand name, isnt important
what is more important is the fabric and fit

in my experience, out here in colorado, where its very dry and low humidity, the only fabric that works for high output activities (so not necesarially specific to fishing) is something that breathes. Anything that works for high output, will work even better in terms of breathability for more stationary activities.
Whatever anyone tells you, hardshells basically suck at breathing. The only hardshell fabric I'm aware of that even comes close to competing is eVent. This is based off my experience with a fabric tester my friend has access to at his local outdoor store where he works.

However, you live in california, its a bit more wet there, so you'll probably need some sort of hardshell. I'd really look for something made of eVent. You could also try to find something proshell/goretex, but their breathability still sorta stinks. I've skied a couple of seasons in the top of the line goretex hardshell stuff, and I've always ended up with tons of condensation on the inside, most of which freezes on colder days. Worthless.
If you go that route, INSIST on getting a jacket with pitzips. Nothing, no fabric, will breathe better than a zipper.

For skiing in blizzards and being out in cold\wind, with little to no rain, the choice is simple, and thats windstopper. Its breathability is amazing. Its only slightly worse than a thick polartec fleece from what i remember of our testing. But still, INSIST on pitzips.

I've tried a ton of brands, and the only thing that is important about them, imo, is that they fit you. Warranty is the 2nd part of that that is important.

generally speaking however

Arcteryx, i used to love their gear, but its overpriced and is just generally cut not to fit me, which is to say, narrow arms that arent long enough, torso's that are cut too trim to effectively layer and stuff climbing skins in the jacket on descents. great warranty

patagonia, honestly, their jackets used to suck. they would layer fabric on top of itself 3 layers deep just to avoid finding a way to do complex seams and corners which did nothing other than add bulk and weight and decrease breathability. Their stuff is better now, and most importantly, I think their fit is a little more consistent. Previously, the fit was all over the place. great warranty, especially if you have a local store. This is worth a lot imo.

marmot, honestly, they make some really nice stuff that fits and is well designed. I had an old windstopper sharpoint jacket that I used to love but sold it a while back. Imo, the fit is the "Medium" of all the outdoor gear I've ever tried on. It fits a lot of people. Sleeves may be a little short for overhead\reaching activities. Great warranty from what Ive heard. never had to use it

golite, if you can find an outlet store near you, they have some decent options, though for the most part, they are cut a little on the weight weenie uber athletic cut side of things. I feel like they have a softshell i tried on recently that I liked...was very lightweight too. Still, it was too trim to layer and stash items i need to on climbs. unsure on warranty, probably "OK"

mammut, higher priced but its the one that fits me and has all the features I need. I think I have the ultimate inuit hoody. Generally speaking, they are very long in the arms, slightly longer in the torso, have a reasonable drop back cut for covering your back when you bend over, and have a slightly more roomy torso area for stuffing items. They also have big huge sections of mesh sewn in on the inside of the jacket that act as pockets to stuff things like scarfs, gloves, hats, skins, glasses, goggles, etc. Warranty; Never had to use it on my jackets yet.

frogtoggs, some people ARE going to laugh, but the super cheap raingear they have at wally and sports authority etc, like the 10-15$ sets of raingear, breath fantastically, are waterproof, and are super light. A lot of UL backpackers use this as their primary raingear. Very generously cut...perhaps too much so in some cases. Downside is that its not that durable, but for fishing, i bet theyd last a good long while. I've heard reports of people completing PCT and AT thru-hikes on 1-set of frog toggs. Warranty; lol, if it fails, buy another 10$ jacket.

for un-lofted insulating layers, I cannot stand items with hoods. They never layer properly and just add bulk. Instead, go for items with taller necks with a quarter zipper, like a fleece. Also consider getting a neck gaiter if you're really a chilly person. If you intend to cover your mouth with this gaiter, and breathe through it, insist on a gaiter that is both windstopper and has vents cut in it. Otherwise, it will get soaking wet and freeze. Talking from experience here.

for lofted insulation, like down and synthetics, if i want to be able to wear them under my softshell, i dont get a hood. But also insist on pitzips. Do you see a trend? The only exception to this might be certain items that have a stretchy mesh sewn along the sides of the torso, but even still, I think I'd just prefer full insulation with pitzips. For example a golite cady synthetic jacket i got a couple years back. Generally speaking though, I prefer down since its so dry here in colorado. If i lived in Cali or Seattle, i might change my mind. For fishing when its cold here, i first add a fleece, then I add a down vest. If its colder and rainy\snowy, Id then add a rainshell. I like to minimize layers that will absorb water if i reach in to unsnag a fly or release a fish. For skiing, this isnt an issue.

For outerlayers, definitely get a big generous hood to fit hats\helmets if you use them. Otherwise, doesnt matter as much, just get a hood. My one complaint with softshell is that its a little hard to take on\off because the inside fleece layer has a lot of stick\grab against other fabrics that arent like nylon. But because of that, they're very warm and dont conduct cold\heat as well as something like goretex proshell which feels instantly cold after a strong gust of wind or right when you put it on. As such, 90% of the time, when im skiing in colorado, im wearing nothing but a lightweight baselayer and my softshell jacket. When it gets colder, say 15F and below as the high, I'll add a fleece. But I am staying active.

i probably WAAAY went overboard here on everything, but a simple recap

for an "everyday" jacket, I'd go for windstopper, with pitzips, and a hood, imo.
A hardshell or goretex proshell being used everyday will still look very technical imo and it does nothing but get a fabric that doesnt breathe so well to begin with, to be even worse when it gets dirty from being used daily.

insist on pitzips. dont bother with items that have zip-off powderskirts or hoods. They just add bulk and weight. You'll never forget your hood if its permanently attached.

Find one that fits in a color you like and call that part of it done.

Since you're in califonia, I'd consider also picking up one of those frogtoggs cheap jackets I was talking about and stashing it in your pack for when its rainier than a windstopper softshell will be good for. If you lived in seattle or the appalachians, id probably say something different along the lines of getting a little more durable hardshell, since you'd be using it more often.

also, get yourself a fleece with a quarter zip tall neck if you dont have one.
im a big fan of the 100wt northface\colombia stuff since its very affordable at our local outlet. Fits well enough and doesnt look too technical. I wear it to work frequently in winter.
For colder days, I go straight to my 200wt marmot powerstretch. Super warm and has a nice smooth exterior that doesnt snag on other layers and actually sheds some light moisture\snow quite well for when Im climbing up in it sans jacket.
pechelman

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, I went with the Simms Windstopper in the end. Something about it called to me. ;)

Arrived, fits nice, sleeves did not ride up when I raised my arms.

Should be a nice all around jacket.

Thanks to all on your advise.

tj

http://tinyurl.com/8ar484g
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Previous

Return to Add-on gear