Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Advice for "everyday" jacket that can be used while wading

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Advice for "everyday" jacket that can be used while wading

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:05 pm

To date I have mostly been a fair weather tenkara fisherman meaning I have not fished while it rained or in the dead of winter or cold cold cold outside. So mostly spring and summer and early fall where I live.

It is time for me to get a nice what I call "everyday" jack that can be used all year long (so it does not look like a fly fisherman guide jacket wth all the baggie pockets, etc...), so sleeker, yet can keep you warm if cold but just enough to have on in spring when it can still be nippy but not too cold. Also like it to be lite weight in case I hike in the future is a nice all around jacket that can keep me somewhat dry, warm, and decent enough if it rains out.

I have been eyeing the Simms Windstopper style jackets as seen in the links below but undecided. Not sure if I should get a hood or not. Part of me says get the hood as if it rains, nice to have, but then part of me does not want a attached hood always in the way.

So, what do you all use for everyday jackets that you fish in, decent enough to wade in, looks nice, fairly water repellant, etc...

What are you thoughs on hood or not hood?

Here is what I have been looking at.

http://tinyurl.com/9vns288

and

http://tinyurl.com/8ar484g

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Advice for "everyday" jacket that can be used while wadi

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Look into Patagonia, REI, Mountain Hardware, and North Face.

I use a windstopper jacket from a company called Deep Outdoors. In UT, I fish all winter in that jacket just layered up for the below 20 deg days. One thing to think about is sleeve length. I like my sleeves about 1 inch longer than usual for fishing because you spend a lot of time with your hands above your shoulders and it sucks to have your sleeves pull up exposing your wrists to cold/rain/snow every time you raise your arm.

Go somewhere where you can try the jacket on and raise and extend both arms above your head and check that the sleeves are long enough to keep the cuffs where they should be and the bottom hem of the jacket does not raise up and expose your waist/abdomen/back.

The biggest mistake people make when buying outdoor sport jackets/coats is that they put it on and just stand in front of the mirror without moving around like you would doing whatever sport you are buying the jacket for to see if it moves and covers you the way it should.

Wind stopper fleece or soft shell jackets work great in light rain. I have a rain jacket for real rain.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby kanotuna » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm

I have 3 different jackets that I use, one is the Simms Headwaters Windstopper (discontinued), a Simms Softshell Hoody (older model) and a Patagonia softshell (similar to the Adz model).

I like all three, but I usually only use the hooded one when there is light rain. All three block chilly wind and are pretty good in the rain, though I've not tried it in heavy downpours. I have some Frog Toggs that I use for that. The insulation is minimal, with the Headwaters having the most. But I try to layer effectively.

The Patagonia seems to run a little tight, especially in the sleeves. This makes layering a little more difficult. I'd recommend the Simms to any person. Though I think that the hoodless is the way to go. It gets in the way for me, and when I go out, I don't like to wear sweaters or jackets with hoods.

I highly recommend Patagonia since they are less expensive than Simms, just try one on to make sure you feel comfortable in one.
kanotuna

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:38 am

I wear layers. So I always carry my Golite Tumalo rain jacket as a shell, and throw a Columbia fleece jacket underneath if it's cold. This is my system for summer and winter and both jackets are street friendly.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby adventureR » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:04 am

I prefer a light weight breathable rain jacket with ventilation zippers that's I guess called a shell. I then layer beneath. My favorite is a Burton Dry Ride jacket http://www.altrec.com/burton/mens-entourage-jacket, closest to what I use. Difficult to find a good jacket for me being 6'1" and having a wingspan of 76" a jacket that works with plenty of room with movement needed to play. The longer shells are what I've found to be most versitile and comfortable for long fishing/hiking trips while cool mornings turn into warm afternoons. The jackets have vetiletion zippers in the arm pits. Then cool quickly before the set sun. The Dry Ride fabric keeps you dry if it rains. I think the Snowboarding gear is really a good match for staying put during movements like John mentioned while testing your fit.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Holga Man » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 am

A cheaper alternative..
I use my Army issue gortex jacket, and while it was issued to me in the Army it is a great jacket. I use it with a fleece jacket under it, the Army issued liner and various other things too.
It is in the woodland camo, so I imagine you could find one fairly cheap at an Army surplus store.
It has some great pockets and ventilation zippers in both sleeves.
I saw your post on the tenkara anglers page on Facebook.
Brian
See my photography at:
http://www.mtbbrian.com
"Photography is an act of life" - Maine 2006
~~~*~~~ >`)))><
Holga Man

Postby tsegelke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:00 am

My experience is that the soft shells soak through if you are fishing any length of time. If I am fishing in some rain, I use a shell with a fleece or nice long underwear beneath to keep me warm. When it stops raining I take off the shell. The soft shells, or wind stoppers are water resistant, but not water proof.

I've been eyeing the Simms Pro-Dry jacket, but it's too expensive. I am looking for a similar style to this, without the hefty price tag. I am on a budget.
tsegelke

Postby narcodog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 am

Layering is the key. I use a windstopper fleece vest, windstopper fleece jacket then if rain threatens an Orvis rain jacket. I don't think that you can have one fits all. As for the windstopper, you can get very nice vest or jackets from REI at under $100.00. I just cannot see spending $200.00 for a piece of clothing. The Orvis rain jacket is about $139.00 but I can to get that through a trade up after the first rain jacket,s liner deteriorated. Other than that I would find one at little less expensive.
narcodog

Postby jd_smith » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm

TJ, I'm going to echo what others have already said. And John has nailed it on the head ;) . Don't just stand in front of a mirror and look. Go through the motions of your activities. I think it's best to get a lightweight, breathable, waterproof rain shell with plenty of room to layer underneath it. This route will give you the best versatility to be comfortable in nearly any weather that No. California throws your way. Patagonia has a great rain shell called the "Torrentshell" listed at about $130 and at this price it's certainly not top of the line but You will not get wet in this jacket, trust me on this. There are other great choices but I can vouch for this one to be a great jacket. Use breathable base layers under the shell and you will be set.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

:D
I've used the Simms Pack-Lite rain jacket for years. ( We have 3 sets of jacket and pants) But then Hawaii never gets that cold. :lol:
I've taken it on fishing trips to Alaska & Montana, and vacation/tours. On those occasions I have the Columbia fleece to lair under the rain jacket if it's on the cool/cold side.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Next

Return to Add-on gear