Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

DELETE PLEASE

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

DELETE PLEASE

Postby CJOttawa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:21 pm

please delete
Last edited by CJOttawa on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJOttawa

Re: Orvis packable versus convertible waders?

Postby Tenkara Guides » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I have been using the packable sonic seam waders as my primary guide waders for almost 2 years now. They are great. That being said, I just ordered the new Silver Label Sonic Seam waders. The Packables are designed for expedition travel, they are a barebones wader with only a small internal pocket, very minimalist.

With over 350 fishing days in my packable sonic seam waders, no seam has blown out or leaked. The neoprene gravel guards are beginning to show some wear and there are several holes I have patched from punctures in the fabric but that is pretty normal wear and tear. I am surprised at how well they have held up to hard use.

The compression bag that comes with the packable waders is just a medium size compression bag. I have used other compression bags in the past with my other waders. Compression bags can be purchased at places like REI. They are really nice for travel because some waders are pretty bulky and the bags help make them more manageable in size for packing.

The new waders are freaking awesome, I had a chance to spend time with some of the guys from Orvis during the Outdoor Retailer show last month and they went over every detail of the new wader. This is one of the most advanced wader designs I have ever seen.

The new Silver Label Sonic Waders are way more feature laden and cheaper than the packables. In my mind it is pretty much a no-brainer. I ordered the new Silver Labels.

John
Tenkara Guides

Return to Add-on gear