Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Polarized glasses

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Re: Polarized glasses

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:03 pm

66Zoomie wrote:Erik - According to my optomitrist, there's no such thing as photochromatic polarized lenses: photochromatic lenses and polarized lenses, but not the two combines.

Not sure what to say. There are plenty of companies that sell photochromic polarized lenses. I hate it when people tell me to just google it, but there are many companies. I have used Zeal Optic's Maestro for a couple years and loved the lenses - both polarized and photochromic.

Photochromic lenses can be what ever range is suitable for the application. For glasses you want them to go completely clear. For polarized sunglasses they will go from 50% light blocked and up.

It may be that for your doctor thought you wanted "glasses" and not "sunglasses". Or your prescription is unique enough that something special may be made.

scorpion1971 wrote:Which glasses does everyone use? Are the el cheapo glass good or do you recommend getting higher priced ones? What is the difference between the $30 pair and $150 pair?

If you can find a cheap pair of sunglasses that fit, don't hurt after a long day, and allow you to see fish then buy them. If you loose them, no big deal.

If you buy more expensive sunglasses by them for the fit and technology. Try on a whole bunch to make sure it fits perfectly. Then when you've narrowed it down, try them your favorite pair of Chums or Croakies. Look for lenses in light brown/copper, polarized, photochromic, anti reflection on the inside, scratch resistance, etc . . . I can usually get two years out of a good pair of glasses, but I beat the hell out of my gear 'cause I use it all the time. I'm also not very tolerant to scratches. If it starts affecting my ability to see fish, then I get a new pair. Lastly, when on the water always wear them with your Croakies!
erik.ostrander

Postby Paul_Vertrees » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:23 pm

scorpion1971 wrote:Which glasses does everyone use? Are the el cheapo glass good or do you recommend getting higher priced ones? What is the difference between the $30 pair and $150 pair?

I've lost enough $150 sunglasses to know that I should not spend that much for them. Sun Cloud (made by Smith) makes some very nice styles and sizes at about half the price of Smiths. I like them and they run about $49. My last pair of expensive ones were Natives and I lost them while bushwhacking to a little stream this past summer. It's Sun Clouds for me from now on, but I anticipate using my bifocals and clip ons more.
Paul Vertrees
Tenkara Guide
RIGS Fly Shop and Guide Service
Ridgway, CO
Paul_Vertrees

Postby adventureR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I've got a pair of Fishgillz , spent $30 on them. http://www.fishgillz.com/ They are great for the money. Super light weight, float, and have them in the brown lense color. And I have a old pair of oakleys $130 with a grey lense http://www.oakley.com/ . They are a little better seeing through the glare on the water. But when deciding to replace the lenses on the oaks they cost more than the fizgillz. So I went with the cheaper ones. New lenses cost $50 on the oaks, and my frames are worn out on the oakleys too. I also bought a cheap pair for $14 a while back that said polorized but they aren't. They get used on the lawnmower. If I look at the screen on my cell phone and can't read anything they are probably polorized lenses. But don't know if it's just my cell screen. I think if you want to improve your fishing experceince you should get polorized glasses. Don't know what the best is but know they make a difference. I don't think the price difference in the Fishgillz and Oakleys is worth the extra $$$.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby statikpunk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 am

I would rather forget my rod than my polarized glasses, I never go anywhere without them.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby workingman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 am

Gotta have polarized glasses. El cheapos will do just fine, as long as they're comfortable. One thing I might add is to make sure the frame is a muted color so they won't flash and scare the fish.
workingman

Postby JEPPE.D » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Funny!

Here a was trying to highlight the use of polarized glasses and learnt alot about polarized photochromic glasses.
Didn't know about those and i will buy some next week.
Thanks alot for the info.
Forums are great!

Best Regards

Jesper
JEPPE.D

Postby jdchaussee » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm

All I ever wear are Oakleys because I love the fit and they have really high quality lenses (doesn't hurt that I basically get them for free from my REI dividend every year ;-) )

Sun Cloud makes some really nice optics as well for the money. My wife gets Sun Clouds because she's famous for breaking/misplacing her glasses. On a few occasions I've had to "borrow" her glasses because I've forgotten my Oakley's at home... Hey, better to fish with pink polarized glasses then none at all! :-P

You really have to do some research do discern the difference between a 30$ pair and a 150$ pair. Different companies use different technologies. Sometimes you are just paying for the name. Oakley and Sun Cloud are a good example. SC's are around 50$ and Oakley's are around 120$ but if you look at their lens tech, they are pretty similar. If you take marketing out of the equation, higher priced glasses have additional features such as anti glare coatings, scratch resistant/proof coatings, shatter-proof layers, etc...

In the end, you just need to try on a bunch and test them out. The display case window or storefront window is a good place to test polarization due to the amount of glare usually found on them. A good, quality polarization should allow you to look through the glass without ANY reflection.
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby GregM » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm

If you need/want prescription polarized brown glasses check out Zenni Optical.
Mine cost $40 delivered to my door, arriving 3 weeks after placing the order. (Yes, from China.)

You need your Rx and your "inter-pupilary" distance to fill out the order.
AND a lot of patience to Find them on the web site.
The web site is overwhelming, but the 1-800 folks are great.

My wife and I have many pairs now, for fishing, cycling, reading, distance etc.
My everyday glasses cost $15, delivered.

DO get regular eye exams....glaucoma found to late is tragic.

[I'm heading out for 3 days of fishing so don't expect a reply any time soon. Google is your friend.]
GregM

Postby CJOttawa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:51 am

please delete
Last edited by CJOttawa on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJOttawa

Postby NewTyer1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:23 am

I find if I'm on a stream that is deep within the woods, I like my yellow lenses as it brightens up the darknest of over head trees and my Amber lenses when in an open meadow stream where there is no relief from the relenting sun rays beating down on you all day, Whoe. Sorry. I went off on a tanjent. Anyway, you have the idea. I always carry bot, by the way.
NewTyer1

Previous

Return to Add-on gear