Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Polarized glasses

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Polarized glasses

Postby JEPPE.D » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

I am still amazed to find fellow fishermen out there that don't know about polarized glasses.
Being able to say, no i move on because there are no fish here, or I just counted about 15 char over there might be cheating to some but i like to catch fish and this helps.
You see about 3-5 times better thru the water and a lot of fish species are kind of glowing.
Like arctic char are glowing around the fins for example.
This might be something everyone knows about in this forum but for me the most essential gear except
rod, line, fly are my polarized sunglasses.

Best regards
Jesper
JEPPE.D

Re: Polarized glasses

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Jesper, indeed polarized glasses are a huge asset for fishing.
Actually, they are a big part of my daily life too. I have pretty sensitive eyes, and also do a fair amount of driving, so my sunglasses are always on me, almost 100% of day time.
My wife uses regular prescription glasses and we have been on so many trips where she couldn't see almost any of the fish I pointed to her. I kept asking her to get polarized prescription sunglasses and she kept putting it off. She finally got some and the results have been...well, night and day.
Maybe I should say: rod, line, flies and polarized sunglasses in the future.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Paul Arnold » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 am

I of course concur with the advantages of polarized glasses. For those of us who need prescription glasses (trifocals, in my case), a huge economy can be effected by buying sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses as opposed to the expense of buying prescription polarized lenses and a frame to hold them. The Cocoon brand of polarized overglasses is readily available for ca. $40. Cocoons, in addition to their lower price, have the further -- and considerable -- advantage of blocking bright light from the sides of the wearer's eyes. FWIW, I prefer the lens-color they call "Copper" for my fishing. My frame is black (functional), but my wife prefers her tortoise-shell (fashion accessory) Cocoon frame.
Paul Arnold

Postby Paul_Vertrees » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 am

I recently went to progressive bifocal glasses with custom clip-on polarized sunglass lenses. That system works great! I had previously been wearing my contacts and polarized sunglasses, but as my near vision dwindled the past few years I found myself switching out of my sunglasses and putting on my reading glasses so I could tie on flies, tippet, and untangle line snarls. This became especially tedious during my first year of guiding. Now I don't have to do that with the bifocal/clip-on sunglass system. There are custom clip-ons that fit the shape of your prescription glasses available for a wide number of frame designs. I found some that fit my frames perfectly. See your eye doctor.

I like brown or copper lenses best. I don't like gray at all. The contrast I get from the brown is really good.
Paul Vertrees
Tenkara Guide
RIGS Fly Shop and Guide Service
Ridgway, CO
Paul_Vertrees

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 pm

:D
Very important. Also get glasses to protect the eyes from UV rays. I use prescription , polarized sunglasses with the no line bifocals. The no line is progressive in it's magnification. I like it so much better because by just tilting your head a little you can focus on an object at any distance.

Also saved my eye. The heavy fly cracked the lens instead of my eye. You'll never catch me without my polarized sunglasses.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby erik.ostrander » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 am

If I don't have polarized sunglasses I go home. The only time I don't fish with polarized glasses is at night or right at dawn/dusk. Get a pair of photochromic glasses and you'll almost never have to take them off.
erik.ostrander

Postby 66Zoomie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Erik - According to my optomitrist, there's no such thing as photochromatic polarized lenses: photochromatic lenses and polarized lenses, but not the two combines. If there is, he lied to me, because I asked for them specifically when I got my most recent pair of glasses. Again, according to him, polarized lenses can only be incorporated in "tinted" glass/material (sunglasses, basically); I wanted clear polarized lenses and couldn't get them. He did tell me that a clear (very lightly tinted, actually) lens was about to be released, but a pair of glasses with those lenses would probably cost more than a couple of fishing trips! Cocoon Flip-Ups are a good, relatively inexpensive compromise for me.
66Zoomie

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Haber Vision (a Golden/Colorado based) company has polarized photochromic glasses available (the model I own is no longer offered but is also polarized & photochromic):

http://www.habervision.com/product/Bentota.aspx
http://www.habervision.com/product/Bellagio.aspx
http://www.habervision.com/product/Columbia.aspx

They point out thought that the lens must be the one without the "flash mirror coating".

Haber Vision glasses are of excellent quality and mine have actual glass lenses (no correction). They are a wee bit heavier but won't scratch as easy as polymer/plastic lenses.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby jdchaussee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 am

Polarized glasses are a must for me. After I bought my first pair, Ive never gone back. I've definately fished without them, but there is definately a diferent experience with them. As daniel mentioned, they are great for driving too. You never realize how hard you strain your eyes from glare/reflections while driving until you get a pair of polarized glasses.
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby scorpion1971 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:05 am

Which glasses does everyone use? Are the el cheapo glass good or do you recommend getting higher priced ones? What is the difference between the $30 pair and $150 pair?
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Next

Return to Add-on gear