Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Indicator and lead, deep pools

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Indicator and lead, deep pools

Postby Edward Charlton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 am

Anyone have advise on getting down to the bottom on 4' to 6' pools. Casting an Iwana with lead is a mess. How about Tippett length, inducators, and lead?
Edward Charlton

Re: Indicator and lead, deep pools

Postby chorpie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 am

I've used 5' of tippet and killer bugs, cast upstream as far as you can to give it time to sink, and it just flowed along the bottom. This was a slow stream that flowed right into a pool though, there wasn't a drop or anything.

you could always tie up a Sakasa Copperbari :)

(image linked from TenkaraBum.com)
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby rsetina » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 pm

I've tied a few SK flies with a tungsten bead head that seem to sink well, but the best advise is what chorpie gave. Casting upstream and letting the current take the fly down into the pool. That happens to any natural food in the water so you should be in the food column doing that. Use fluorocarbon tippet which sinks better than mono. Other than that, I don't know what to say. Let us know if you find something that works for you.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby narcodog » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm

The best thing to do is slow your cast. Wait until your back cast straightens out, give the rod and line work together.
narcodog

Postby erik.ostrander » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm

My first suggestion is to never use lead again. Use tin. Much safer for the environment and you too.

Second, try casting your fly and line into the plunge at the top of the pool and letting the plunge suck it all down deep.

If you don't have a plunge, then there is usually a hydraulic that pulls water down. Find it, cast far up stream, quartering across, keep a very tight line and when your rod tip passes the hydraulic drop it down and wiggle the line into the water. The wiggling is a very effective way of getting deep. We've been able to get a kebari down to at least 10' deep. If you were at the summit I did this on the second day, but you had to be watching me and not ishigaki :)
erik.ostrander

Postby pechelman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:16 am

i'll quickly chime in with a tip that erik gave me when i asked a similar question

if nothing exists to help you sink your fly, become more of an active angler
cast very far upstream and walk with the fly as it drifts down to allow it a chance to sink deeper
not always possible, but its another thing to think about.
pechelman

Postby Gavin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:09 pm

As well as what others have said, use finer diameter flourocarbon tippet, which will sink fast, and slimmer profile flies, which have less water restistance.
Gavin

Return to Add-on gear