Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Montbell Leg Guards and Socks

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Montbell Leg Guards and Socks

Postby Paul_Vertrees » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:49 am

I happened to notice the really nice Montbell neoprene wading socks and leg wraps our Japanese friends had at the summit. Seems they're only available in Japan? Does anyone have a source in the US? How can I get them?
Paul Vertrees
Tenkara Guide
RIGS Fly Shop and Guide Service
Ridgway, CO
Paul_Vertrees

Re: Montbell Leg Guards and Socks

Postby dwalker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't know about the Montbell leg guards but Tbum was carrying the Little Presents wader gaiters. Which were the ones Dr Ishigaki was wearing on a previous visit. They're still listed on his store page but when you go to the page where they are to be ordered they're not there. Probably he just orders them when/if someone wants them.

There was a thread about them in this section in Dec 2011.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1847

Here's the web site for the Little Presents models, if you'd consider those. Under accessories.

http://lpresents.com/Pages/LittlePresents.html
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:04 pm

I don't often wade but I can see these wading guards as a really smart investment. The Kayak seems better suited for hooking fish where I often explore. Dwalker you should be named The Tenkara librarian. You make it very easy to search this forum for new and old members alike.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Here you go. You'll have to email them to ask about how you can order them since it doesn't look like you can order from this website. I've ordered stuff from Japan several times and it was easier than it first appeared it would be. However, I've never ordered any fishing stuff.

About $80 to $90 for socks and Leg guards + shipping and perhaps customs fees.

support@montbell.com

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=montbell%20wader%20guards&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CGoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.montbell.jp%2Fproducts%2Fgoods%2Flist.php%3Fcategory%3D706000%26brand_id%3D%26sk%3D%26sp%3D%26sw%3D%26sg%3D%26sn%3D%26s_trgt%3D1%26top_sk%3D%26od%3D2&ei=yE0YUOHLCaLo0QGV-oGgAQ&usg=AFQjCNHEA9wQW7pj2quE___J8btZwEn0uw
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby cmaltby » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 pm

No full leg protection, but cheaper.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products ... B7geKmOfxY

Mine should be here this week, I'll let you know what I think when I try them.
cmaltby

Postby CraigP » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 am

the problem with the little presents gaiters is that they are for taller people. I'm 5'9" and they were too long for my legs, so I had to fold them over at the ankle. the knee straps also didn't fit me. the straps at top are wide and this hinders knee bend for me - I find it hard to kneel in them, especially in waders. you will need to try gaiters on for fit and preference.
I also own paintballers and the blue quill versions. I now prefer, after several seasons, simple knee pads. I find that is ample, as I never sit on my shin, I tend to kneel on one or both knees to toes. and the rarely have problems with bending at the knee. most come with hard outer shells that will slip on rocks - you fix this by removal of the shell, and either rely on the outer cordura fabric, or glue on some neoprene if wanting an extra covering.

I've found a cheap and effective alternative are builders pads, the sealed cell (sleeping mat material) ones. The don't last more than two seasons, but cost almost nothing, weigh nothing, and provide the minimal protection needed. you need to cut holes for two staps in them, top and bottom.

My latest experiment are multicam (of course) army knee pads with the rubber outer shell removed.

The most comprehensive system I have seen is on tenkara guides, where one of the guys glued neoprene on his waders knee to shin. Very effective solutionand quite appealing, but too much trouble for me at present.
CraigP

Postby erik.ostrander » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 am

Those things that the Japanese guys have are nice if you want to look cool. However, they are very thin. It may help protect you from damaging your waders, but if you really want cushion do it this way:

http://tenkaraguides.com/knee-pads/
erik.ostrander

Postby pechelman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 am

cmaltby wrote:No full leg protection, but cheaper.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products ... B7geKmOfxY

Mine should be here this week, I'll let you know what I think when I try them.

I have those, but ordered via amazon for ~30$? shipped. Been using them since about early May. Theyre pretty darn light and hold very little moisture and offer a ton of protection. They stay put enough in moving current. I never need to adjust them. I leave the top two straps looser and put the bottom ones on tight in an X.

I love them. Everytime i leave them in the car, i seem to wish i had them, smack my knee on a rock, or puncture\tear my waders. It seems i really love to crawl up and around boulders where I fish. Its also great to have this extra padding to lean against boulders to take some weight off your feet AND they also keep you a bit warmer in cold waters. Obviously not so great when its hot out.

When I'm hiking back to the car for more than a mile, I usually unstrap them and put them on my pack or loosely around my wading belt.

Thus far, after lots of scrambling, crawling up\down boulders on my kness, knealing in gravel, falling on them, and whatever, they have a few frayed threads on the edges, but are otherwise going strong. Maybe I have ~30 days on them?

Ive debated doing the tenkaraguides method, im just hesitant to apply that much aquaseal and kill the breathability of my waders even more in the spot I always have the most condensation.

Edit
Worth noting, ive also tried sliding pads for baseball.
I liked the idea, very light, nothing to absorb water, just the right amount of padding, full leg protection, but it was just a single elastic sleeve to fit over your leg. Was a pain to put on\off, bunched up the wader fabric underneath, and just would not stay put. Maybe theres a different sliding pad out there, but the ones I had (easton or mizuna maybe?) were not working for me.
pechelman

Return to Add-on gear