Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Why a Net?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Why a Net?

Postby terry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 am

I noticed in the tenkara videos I have seen that all the anglers use a net. I have never used one before, I always just use my hands. My question is, does the tenkara style of fishing lend itself to net use more than western fly fishing? Why?
terry

Re: Why a Net?

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Terry,

in the most cases a net is not necessary. I won´t use a net to land a fish which have the normal tenkara size. For the fish it is better not to touch it, neither by hand or by a net.
But when you catch a bigger fish its sometimes better for the fish to net him.

In the last phase when you fish with a long line you have to grab the line. In this moment you don´t have anymore the flexibility of the rod to fight against some rapid movements of the fish. A sudden turn of the fish with the line in your hand, bang it is off if your are not quick enough to release the line. The solution is to fight the fish up to the point it is totaly bored, in summer is this deadly for the fish. He will die several hours after the release.

When you use an net with a long handle you can shorten the fight with the fish enourmsly.
Play the fish hard, grab the line and net the in the same time. This way is much more fishfriendly, than not using a net. But you have to use a net with a long handle.

Ronald
Last edited by Wupperfischer on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wupperfischer

Re: Why a Net?

Postby rsetina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm

A perfect explination Ronald.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Add-on gear