Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Rod Case Sock

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Tenkara Rod Case Sock

Postby pszy22 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:22 pm

We all know that the Tenkara rods sold here come very nicely packaged. The first thing you notice about the tenkara rod case is that it is uh, er round.

As with all round rod cases, they tend to roll, and clank into each other when more than one is being transported. What causes me the greatest challenge is that all the tenkara rod cases look alike. I'm never sure what rod is in what tube.

As I was thinking about how to best label the cases (magic marker, taping a paper label, etc), the solution to all my issues struck me. It was literally staring me right in the face. Doh, stupid me, my wife is a professional bag lady. She makes bags/socks for fly rods and martial art weapons.

So putting on my favor asking face and voice, "Sweetie, could you sew me up some socks for my Tenkara rods?"

As always, she delivered -

It's great to know what's inside a case when you head out to the river.
pszy22

Re: Tenkara Rod Case Sock

Postby rsetina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Nice looking bag. My wife made a couple of sacks for our surf rods that I made and it's surprisingly easy to make them.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby pszy22 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

rsetina wrote:it's surprisingly easy to make them.

Everything is easy when you know what you're doing. Ask me to try to thread a sewing machine, I still can't figure out how and why those things work the way they do. It's a good thing I have nice wife to look after me.
pszy22

Postby pszy22 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm

One more rod housing option.

I have a problem, er I mean opportunity that is probably unique to only me. The rod tubes that come with the tenkara rods are nice, very nice, actually TOO nice.

I drive a pickup, and when I go fishing, I often park my truck in spots that have alot of people coming and going, often times at least a few with prying eyes. I also park in other places that are pretty remote and desolate. If someone happens across the truck, they know they have plenty of time and no witnesses. In both of these environments, I don't like to have any sort of nice or shiny looking rod tube left inside my truck. When some folks see a nice rod tube, they figure it might have a nice expensive rod inside. I feel there is no need to tempt fate or the occasional passerby.

A long time back, I started making up rod cases out of pvc that I use to safely transport my then western fly fishing rods when I knew I'd be leaving the cases in an empty truck. I actually don't even put the empty cases inside the truck, I just leave them out in the open bed. Anyone who wants to open them up and see that they are empty is welcome to have at it. Their idle curiosity is solved, and they don't have to smash my window or pry open my door to find out.

These rod cases are very cheap, easy and quick to make, even for a monkey like me. They cost less than $5 to make, I figure if they save even one smashed in vehicle window, I'm ahead of the game.

I use 1 1/2 pvc pipe. There are a wide variety of options to use to cap the ends, I've shown a few different ones in the picture. If you spend a few minutes at the hardware store, you'll find something that works. I usually go with just a press fit to put everything together, you could apply a bit of glue if you want. They go together in less than 5 minutes, that includes cutting a chunk of pvc pipe to size.

THe pvc cases are strong and provide great protection for your rod. The pvc cases tend to be alot heavier than the nice aluminum/carbon fiber ones, I only use them when I'm driving and parking somewhere to fish. They also look pretty crummy, but of course, that's the whole point.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone might find it of interest.
Last edited by pszy22 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pszy22

Postby pszy22 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:37 pm

My wife knows I'm not a big fan of velcro, so she surprised me with some tie rod bags

There are some minor rituals one goes thru when casing and uncasing martial arts related weapons, I tend to go thru the same process when I get out and put away my fishing rods. It's just a habit I've developed.
pszy22

Postby grampa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I need to make one of these!

The sock that came with my Ayu shredded - actually it was shredded when it arrived.

Just need to find the time to do it!
grampa

Postby terry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:48 am

grampa wrote:The sock that came with my Ayu shredded - actually it was shredded when it arrived.

My Ebisu sock came the same way. I am in the need of a new one myself.

Pszy22, does your wife make a sock that will fit over the rod in the tube?
terry

Postby justincasebags » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 am

terry wrote:
grampa wrote:The sock that came with my Ayu shredded - actually it was shredded when it arrived.

My Ebisu sock came the same way. I am in the need of a new one myself.

Pszy22, does your wife make a sock that will fit over the rod in the tube?

Hi, Terry -
I've made socks for the rod itself as well as the tube. My husband doesn't like velcro, so I made him the rod sock (with a tie embroidered with the type of rod and length) he showed in his photo. The rod tubes aren't too wide, so the sock is a fairly tight fit in the tube (just around the handle). If you're interested in a rod sock, let me know. I charge $6.00 for the rod sock plus $3.00 for the embroidery.
Sue S.
http://www.freewebs.com/justincasebags/
Just In Case - Handmade Cloth Bags
justincasebags

Postby pszy22 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 am

It may just be my imagination, but I think the fabric internal rod bags slide a little better than the original production bags. I had to reach inside of the tube to grasp the production bag to remove it from the tube, the fabric bag slides out on it's own when the tube is inverted.

That may just be the difference between using velcro vs a tie. The velcro may compress a bit less inside the tube providing that much more resistance against the wall of the tube. Don't know for sure. I think for general banging around, I'm going to use a 1 1/2 pvc case. Easy in and easy out. Of course if weight/size is a concern, stick with the original production tube.
pszy22

Postby terry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am

Well my rod sock is not velcro, its tie and its still a little tough to get out.

Sue, PM sent.
terry

Next

Return to Add-on gear