Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Nets

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Nets

Postby LMarshall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm finally getting around to looking at nets. I'd like to get one that will be as gentle as possible on the fish, and rubber mesh looks like the way to go if done right. The Brodin nets from Orvis look nice, but they're really a little too nice for something thats going to get banged around quite a bit, and they're not so easy on the wallet either. So I've found a few cheaper alternatives:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

http://www.frabill.com/store/index.php/ ... tegory/25/

I think this is the one Daniel is using in his latest video:

http://www.themeasurenet.com/products-c ... g-nets.htm

Any thoughts? What nets do guys like?
LMarshall

Re: Nets

Postby Orange_Caddis » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 pm

I have two different sizes of the Measure Nets. I'm looking at getting the breakdown/travel version of their medium size net here shortly, as it would fit nicely into my fishing backpack, or my traveling gear bag.

I still like the look and feel of my brodin nets, but for functionality the Measure Nets are great.

Jason
Orange_Caddis

Postby rsetina » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 am

I like my measure net. I have the same one in the link you posted. It's a nice net. Just be careful to pinch down the barb on your hooks. You can get them out but it takes a little work if you forget to pinch one down. I like the look of the Cabelas net too. My first choice would be the measure net though.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:41 pm

rsetina wrote: [measure net] It's a nice net. Just be careful to pinch down the barb on your hooks.

Do you use the rubber mesh replacement?
The reason I bought the measure net was exclusively for their rubber mesh replacement. Unfortunately the part where they print the numbers is made of nylon, but I have not had a hook get stuck there yet. In the end I just ended up using their rubber mesh for an older, very cheap, wooden net frame I had.
Nets are a very new thing for me, but I really like using them now.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm

No I don't have the rubber replacement for it. I might change over to one if this one wears out, but I have enough nets to last me a lifetime right now. The measure net for tubing, and two others for on the streams depending on the size of fish I'm after.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby LMarshall » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Even though I really like the idea of the rubber mesh, I think I'm going to go with the measure net. It's cheap, it's the size I'm looking for, and it looks fairly rugged.
LMarshall

Postby patrickgarner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:40 am

Daniel, any chance that you'll be selling the Japanese-style round mouth wire rim nets? Aesthetically I still prefer them over all alternatives. And they do seem perfect as an adjunct to any tenkara rod.
Pat
patrickgarner

Postby Morgan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm

The telescoping Measure Net is my next purchase. That longer handle will make it a lot easier to land fish, especially big fish. Seems like a decent bag, too.
Morgan

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Nets are on the works. Trying to get the best product for you guys. I think you'll enjoy it tremendously if we can pull it off just right.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby patrickgarner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 am

That's great news. And a natural for this site's products.

Nets available in the US are almost all clunkers. How cool to be able to offer something different--tenkara-simple, of course--and attractive.
patrickgarner

Next

Return to Add-on gear