Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

How do you carry your gear on the water?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

How do you carry your gear on the water?

Vest
10%
Chest Pack
16%
Fanny Pack
13%
Creel
No votes
Backpack
19%
Wader Pocket
4%
Shirt Pockets
9%
Sling Pack
19%
Other (please explain)
11%

Total votes : 94

Re: How do you carry your gear on the water?

Postby rmcworthing » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 am

Check out the Tenkara Guide sling pack, etc. by ZimmerBuilt (http://www.zimmerbuilt.com). Among other things, it was designed to be:

1) lightweight
2) easily accessible
3) carries multiple tenkara rods (and western rods) in tubes or out, securely
4) enough room for other stuff (jacket, water, first aid kit, etc) without being bulky
5) bombproof
6) very water resistant

Chris Zimmer did a great job with the sling pack, then he expanded the idea into a whole modular system. The idea is that each individual can decide what fits his or her need. For example, I use the sling pack and small pouch when guiding. When going out for an afternoon on my own, I detatch and carry the small pouch either over my shoulder or on my waist belt.

We've had a lot of days on the water with the modular system now, and we're pretty happy.

Disclaimer: Tenkara Guides LLC gets zero money from the sale of these packs. It really is a genuine recommendation. I like Zimmer's stuff a lot. He uses materials that you can't yet find on "mainstream" gear.
rmcworthing

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 am

When I am fishing I like to use a fanny pack and a back pack cooler I got back in Hawaii many years ago.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby jd_smith » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks Rob, nice link and with cool stuff too. I really do like the stream pack. Do you know the specs on the weight for it? Couldn't find 'em on the page, I guess because it's the proto. It looks comparable in weight to one of the packs that I use, the REI Flash 18 (10oz.) but it's fishing specific so I've just put it on my radar. :shock: The prices though? Thanks Rob.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby adventureR » Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 am

My sling bag, huge amount of room for gear, & nice padded shoulder strap. More room then necessary, but nice for long excursions into the waters.

And the Tenkara Barge, Kayaking & Tenkara are a fun match for catching fish.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby delaneg » Wed May 02, 2012 1:59 pm

When fishing in the rain, I have a fly fishing model rain coat (hey, I'm in Oregon). Coat provides all the pockets needed. When hiking the river for a half day or more, I use a backpack to carry food, water, equipment and ALL my tenkara rods since I run into all kinds of different situations during each outing.

Tight Lines......
Delane
delaneg

Postby Darrin Terry » Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I have usually just worn my fishing vest as I keep my license in it and it already has everything I would need with a simple switching out of fly boxes which I have to do most trips anyway.

This season however, I am trying out the BW Sports Fly Pouch 2. Only one day so far and I did not like it at first, but as the day went on and I started to get used to it, I started to like it. We'll see how things progress with it. I am planning on doing some fishing with a buddy in a few weeks and introducing him to tenkara and fly fishing in general. I may decide on the vest for that as I will possibly need to carry lines and flies for us both. I will have both with though and can decide when we are there. On second thought I will probably wear one and my buddy the other. He fishes so at least I'll not be teaching him knots and such while on the water.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby JohnJ » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 am

I most often take a backpack. It's funny that while I've looked for better ones, I keep going back to a promotional bag someone gave me. It is from a tennis tournament. It has a low pocket to hold a gallon ziplock with ice and fish. The side pockets hold bicycle water bottles. And the main body has good capacity. The bottom is actually lightly rubberized. It must be meant for wet tennis clothes.

I'd rather have a hydration sleeve than bottle pockets ... but I've never found a pack with a better 'fish pocket'
JohnJ

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 am

I know Rob mentioned the Tenkara Guide sling pack above, but we recently posted a review:

http://tenkaraguides.com/tenkara-packs-by-zimmerbuilt/
erik.ostrander

Postby kkortemeier » Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 am

For me it depends on the trip. If I m less than 1/2 mile from the car I like a vest. Everything is easy to get to, and I can pack a lunch, cigar, and raingear with ease (Patagonia mesh vest). For trips farther from the car I will carry a backpack (Kifaru daystalker) with a very small chest pack. I like to have a minimal amount of gear, but I carry more food, survival kit, water, etc. I can also strap my waders on top of the pack. If I am going over night, I put everything in my shirt pockets. This is what got me interested in Tenkara to begin with. How do I cut down on my weight? Tenkara is perfect for this. Besides, here in North Ga, all the streams are high gradient, free stone, mountain streams. Its humid too, just like Japan;)
kkortemeier

Postby Big C » Sat May 26, 2012 4:43 pm

I use an Orvis sling pack that I modified for my Tenkara rods and gear.
Big C

PreviousNext

Return to Add-on gear