Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

How do you carry your gear on the water?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Vest
10%
Chest Pack
16%
Fanny Pack
13%
Creel
No votes
Backpack
19%
Wader Pocket
4%
Shirt Pockets
9%
Sling Pack
19%
Other (please explain)
11%

Total votes : 94

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Just curious about how everyone carries their gear. I usually use a small chest pack and sometimes a small backpack if I need to carry extra gear like camera equipment, rain wear, etc.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Re: How do you carry your gear on the water?

Postby jayfisher » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I use an Orvis sling pack, which I find very convenient. If I have to hike or stay out most of the day, I might also carry a backpack for water, food, hiking, and photography gear.

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby jd_smith » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I chose 6 out of 9 of 'em...vest, chest pack, backpack, shirt pocket, wader pocket and other (shorts pocket) I'm some what of a gear hoard, and will use different items for each trip. I'm always looking for the perfect way to hold and arrange my stuff.

Some trips are just down the street to the bass and bluegill pond. Others are multi day trips and then there's everything in between. Jason I know you know what I'm talking about here. I've seen some of the stuff you've posted about and how you've modified some of them to get what you're looking for. I'm in that boat of find a need and buy it or build it. My tenkara needs however, are minimal compared to the other way. D'oh! I just realized that I should have voted 7 of 9 because I also use a fanny pack sometimes as well. This habit of mine might be worse than the killer bug drug. :lol:

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby tntom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 am

jd_smith wrote:I chose 6 out of 9 of 'em...vest, chest pack, backpack, shirt pocket, wader pocket and other (shorts pocket) I'm some what of a gear hoard, and will use different items for each trip. I'm always looking for the perfect way to hold and arrange my stuff.

Some trips are just down the street to the bass and bluegill pond. Others are multi day trips and then there's everything in between. Jason I know you know what I'm talking about here. I've seen some of the stuff you've posted about and how you've modified some of them to get what you're looking for. I'm in that boat of find a need and buy it or build it. My tenkara needs however, are minimal compared to the other way. D'oh! I just realized that I should have voted 7 of 9 because I also use a fanny pack sometimes as well. This habit of mine might be worse than the killer bug drug. :lol:

JD

I feel you pain JD I have addition to bag and vests. I keep saying I am going to have a fly fishing yard sale and get rid of some of the stuff I don't use I have 4 vests 1 is a Simms Guide vest that I have never worn :oops: In my defense I bought it just before I found Tenkara and started cutting back on what I carry. And to beat it all for the last while I have been wearing a lanyard for tools and putting a fly box and a few extra lines in my shirt pocket. I don't really need the lanyard I stopped carrying nippers my forceps have a scissor built is that works very well I can just drop a spool of 5x tippet over them clamp them to my shirt and I'm good to go. I gota sell some stuff. tired of it being pile up. One thing's for sure killer bugs are cheaper than vests, and I got a bunch of them to :cry: :?

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby pechelman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:16 am

as you've seen

i use what I believe is marketed as a waist pack but i wear it with the neck strap on my strong shoulder and waist strap around my torso. Hemostats are on the left side built in zinger on the bag, so theyre immediately handy with my right hand when I need them. Quick twist of the bag to access flies and nippers.

Tried it on my weak side, but find its actually more "out of the way" when reaching for a landing net\tamo...and it also provides a place to put\rest my elbow.

on occasion, when doing lots of bushwhacking or climbing in and out of places, I'll lengthen the neck strap and move it from my strong shoulder to my weak for a bit more stability

somewhat interested to try a purpose built sling or creel pack. I feel like they might carry better, but what I have works well enough.

i believe the model of pack is an older WJ catalyst (the one with zippers instead of magnets)
pechelman

Postby jd_smith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 am

tntom wrote:
jd_smith wrote:I chose 6 out of 9 of 'em...vest, chest pack, backpack, shirt pocket, wader pocket and other (shorts pocket) I'm some what of a gear hoard, and will use different items for each trip. I'm always looking for the perfect way to hold and arrange my stuff.

JD

I feel you pain JD I have addition to bag and vests. I keep saying I am going to have a fly fishing yard sale and get rid of some of the stuff I don't use I have 4 vests 1 is a Simms Guide vest that I have never worn :oops: In my defense I bought it just before I found Tenkara and started cutting back on what I carry. And to beat it all for the last while I have been wearing a lanyard for tools and putting a fly box and a few extra lines in my shirt pocket. I don't really need the lanyard I stopped carrying nippers my forceps have a scissor built is that works very well I can just drop a spool of 5x tippet over them clamp them to my shirt and I'm good to go. I gota sell some stuff. tired of it being pile up. One thing's for sure killer bugs are cheaper than vests, and I got a bunch of them to :cry: :?

Tom

"A flyfishing sale!" BLASPHEMY I say. I just retire my stuff for a while and come back to it later.

Tom, I just read your new signature and I'm LMAO.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm

All of the above... it depends where i fish and how long, proximity to car, need to move around, hiking in, etc. I think there was a similar post a year or so ago.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby adventureR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Sling pack mostly, but I could easily go with just a pocket. When fishing with the nephews I'm like an amature Tenkara Guide, also a pack mule, and or beast of burden. They seem to need alot more stuff then me. Extra drinks snacks and like to try a different lure or fly with each cast. And like the fact they can hitch a ride on uncles shoulder. The Kayak on the other hand makes Tenkara gear fit so well. I can put alot of stuff on the boat, and it takes up so little space.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby rsetina » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

In the past I used a vest and I still do on occasion when I need more stuff, but that's not very often now. I have a sling pack that I use most of the time now and before we bought those, I used a recycled waders bag that most you you have seen Daniel use.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Anthony » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

For short trips, near car where I'm not taking food and foul weather gear - I use a very small waist pack and lanyard.

For longer trips away from car where I need more stuff I have a large lumbar pack that will hold food, thermos, raincoat, extra rods. And also then still use waist pack and lanyard.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Next

Return to Add-on gear