Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fly tying vices

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Re: Fly tying vices

Postby dwalker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm

richard859 wrote:... the HMH standard is bullet proof. I've had mine for a few years now after a Renzetti traveler. ... Also a thing many don't talk about is the length of the main stem. The HMH has the longest, and makes tying much easier....

I just got an HMH Spartan vise. It's a pretty sweet little vise. I like it. The stem isn't as long as on the HMH Standard but otherwise seems to be made the same.

I read a lot of reviews of different vises while researching what vise to get. The best summary that matches the reviews I read is found on this web page. Maybe worth a look if your looking for a tying vise.

http://www.yakangler.com/how-to-make-lures-rigs/item/1526-getting_started_in_fly_tying_part_1_vises

D
Last edited by dwalker on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54 am

I've tied on a lot of vises but in my opinion, Regal is the best vise ever: http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/06/new-vise-smell/
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby lylesrob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm

I have been tying for years but have been tying Tenkara flies just over a year. I have a Dyna-King Barracuda "http://www.dyna-king.com/dtl_vises/?id=322&cat_id=2" and use a profile plate with it. Of the main shaft I have always hung a plastic grocery bag for clippings and trimmings. I purchased this vise in the 90's and could not be happier. it hold hooks flawlessly. I tie allot of salt water flies so use the original jaws for those hooks and purchased Midge Jaws "http://www.dyna-king.com/product_dtl/?id=348" for trout flies.

For traveling I bought a small pedestal Dyna-King Kingfisher "http://www.dyna-king.com/dtl_vises/?id=371&cat_id=4" and it handles either sets of jaws perfectly. I find myself using the Kingfisher at home allot as I do not need the big vice for Tenkara. I have a travel pack set up for tying on the road or when I get together with friends to tie.

As long as you buy a good vise you will be happy. Ensure solid jaw strength and you will be purchasing an heirloom.

Good luck in your choice.

Lyle Robertson
Middletown, RI
Tight lines,

Lyle

[i]Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau[/i][color=#004080][/color]
lylesrob

Postby jasonkonopinski » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:37 am

I just picked up an HMS SX myself. For my tying styles and needs, it's perfect.
jasonkonopinski

Postby tsegelke » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:35 pm

If you are tying mostly kebari the vices mentioned are awesome, but you will be paying for a lot of features you will not use.

Doesn't sound like price is a challenge, so I would go to a shop and check to see how your hand fits to the vice. I have big hands, so the tying on tails is where things get the tightest. Especially on small hooks. Ask to test out the vice and tie some small tails on size 18 hooks.

For me, the one that does that the most comfortable is the vice of choice.

Otherwise you are going to be looking at what you need to tie. Parachute, doubing loops, wings, paraloops, gills, legs, bead or rib bodies, streamer tails, tubes? Each has a different advantage of how much room you have around the vice.

I've been using Nor Vise for many years. For Top Dollar check out the J vise.

FYI, I junked my Dyna King. Too much lateral movement. Otherwise always had to adjust the tension for the rotary hub.

For what it is worth.
tsegelke

Postby flyfishbeck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 am

+1 on the Renzetti Traveler. I've had mine for over 12 years and I wouldn't trade for it.

- FFB
TUSA Sato (2015)
7:3 Willow and Cane (2015)
Runa Hisano Fujin 11.8' (2015)
(Too many Western rods to list.) (since 1990)
flyfishbeck

Postby Guy Curtis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:05 am

Griffan rotary here, has worked a treat for years!
Guy Curtis

Postby hypostatic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

I just bought a Peak Rotary Vise with a pedestal and it's great!
hypostatic

Postby tsegelke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Can't go wrong with the vises mentioned.

I owned a Regal for all of 3 days and returned it. Love the jaws, but couldn't live without rotary. If all you are tying are Tenkara Flies or midges it would have worked for me.

Renzetti: I owned for a year and with my large hands, the smaller head and bend in the arm just was not as comfortable. Great vise!. Well made, secure jaws, good rotary. Just not comfortable for my large hands.

Dynaking: I still have it, but rarely use by Barracuda Jr.. Too many knobs to adjust when using rotary and then wanting to secure the fly in one position. Roomy for my hands, well made, secure jaws though.

Norvise: I use this vise first and foremost. Have done so for over 10 years. Secure, easy to adjust and switch to awesome rotary to indexed 90 degree positions. Does it all, tube, midge, dubbing brushes, and the bobbins are sweet. There is a few fly learning curve with the super fast rotary and bobbins. But it's quick and easy to build the habits.

All of these are overkill if tying only Kebari.
tsegelke

Postby Goldkenshin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 pm

im using the norvise, no problems at all, and i love their bobbin system, i also love the table clamps that i bought separate so i can take the vise to work
Goldkenshin

Previous

Return to Add-on gear