Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fly tying vices

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Re: Fly tying vices

Postby jd_smith » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:54 am

Last edited by jd_smith on Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby chorpie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Everyone has the right to be picky when they're going to spend their hard-earned money on something, whether it's $5 or $500.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:52 pm

jd_smith wrote:Hmmm...What to do, what to do? Well I'm in no hurry so if anybody wants to add something or call me out on any of the observations I've made, chime in. If your getting the feeling that I'm a little picky, you're right.

Thanks guys.

jd

I have not tied any flies with mine yet but this winter I will be, but I searched and searched for what I felt was the right vise for me and found a unique one from Slovenia.

This one called my name and workmanship, this vise seems real well made.

Called the Sava F1 Vise. This vise can be used in so many angles and I saw you wanted something that had 360degree.

Watch this video from YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4ulG55xUI

Here is their website.
http://www.sava-ribiski-pribor.com/

Cost from eBay where this gentleman sold it to me at that time was $425. Not cheap but I hope to have this vise a lifetime and have no problem paying for quality goods.

Probably overkill for my skill set today but that is OK, as in time I will use more of its capabilities.

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby redband » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 pm

see kanotuna's vise for sale in the Marketplace
redband

Postby jd_smith » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks Tj. That's a beautiful vice you got there. I really hope you can find the time this winter to put it to good use. Have you put together a basic tool kit to work with as well?

jd
Last edited by jd_smith on Sun May 20, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby jd_smith » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:57 pm

redband wrote:see kanotuna's vise for sale in the Marketplace

Thanks for the heads up redband. I'll take a look.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby Karl Klavon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm

After tying on a Zuron vise for nearly 30 years, and after some no so successful tying experiences with several Thompson vises and an early Regal vise, I purchased a Dyna-King Full-Rotary function Traveler vise this past year. Along with the rotating lever extender and the removable to empty 3" Extended Trim Basket as options, I have been very satisfied with the form, functioning and quality of the Dyna-King vise I bought.

Unlike many of the other rotary vises on the market, the Dyna-Kings are very easy to adjust to 100 percent rotary function with different sized hooks. And although this model is near the bottom of the Dyna-King price scale, it is a rock solid vise that does everything that I need a vise to do and then some.

I do not need the Indexing feature for my tying but I can see where it would be a nice feature to have if you need an indexing vise.

In particular I like the 3 different size hook jaw notch setups in the jaws of Dyna-King vises and how quick and easy it is to vary the jaw tension for different sized hooks when that adjustment is required. The Traveler and Barracuda Junior Trekker are pretty much the same vises, not taking up a lot of space and weighing less than 1/2 a pound each with out the weight of the pedestal-base. And the Dyna-king vises are made right here in California, in the US of A.
Karl Klavon

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Karl, thank you very much for detailing the features that you like about the Dyna-King. I have made my decision on a new vice, and mine too will be a Dyna-King. I'm going to get the Barracuda kit because of the extra's that come with it i.e midge jaws in particular. Thank you for all of your input here and on the other threads over the last weeks. You have a wealth of knowledge worth sharing. ;)

jd
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:24 pm

jd_smith wrote:Karl, thank you very much for detailing the features that you like about the Dyna-King. I have made my decision on a new vice, and mine too will be a Dyna-King. I'm going to get the Barracuda kit because of the extra's that come with it i.e midge jaws in particular. Thank you for all of your input here and on the other threads over the last weeks. You have a wealth of knowledge worth sharing. ;)

jd

Nice feeling when you lock in on a purchase.

Hope you can get it soon. Good winter tying time.

Tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby richard859 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:38 am

If your just going to buy one and have the money the HMH standard is bullet proof. I've had mine for a few years now after a Renzetti traveler. I found the R.T fine but a bit too small for Pike flies.
Also a thing many don't talk about is the length of the main stem. The HMH has the longest, and makes tying much easier. The Dyna Kings are too short for me, I like a long bobbin hang. Just a thought?
richard859

PreviousNext

Return to Add-on gear