Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fly tying vices

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Fly tying vices

Postby jd_smith » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:29 pm

So... I'm in the market for a new tying vice. I want a 360* true rotary design with solid hook holding power, US made and a lifetime warranty. I've set my sites on the Dyna-King, Barracuda Deluxe or the Ultimate Indexer...but I am curious about what others are using and why you like or dislike your vice. Others I've considered are a couple of the Renzetti Presentation the Anvil vices, Griffin (the brand I currently use) and a Regal Medallion (not true 360*) but a kick butt vice none the less. So...I look to my tenkara fraternity for help. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

jd
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Re: Fly tying vices

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I have been using a Renzetti Traveller for about 10 years now. Does what I need it for.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Anthony » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:31 pm

I have a peak rotary - I like it. I just have the standard jaws and tie flies from salmon flies to size 26 midges. Made in U.S., lifetime warranty, solidly built, cam action, reasonably priced ($150 or so with pedestal).
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby chorpie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:19 pm

i have a peak rotary as well, but i have yet to use it. it was recommended to me by TenkaraBum. TenkaraBum also sells an HMH SX vise on his website. That was another vise recommended to me.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby jayfisher » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:49 pm

jd,

A lot depends on what you value in the vise you get and how much you're willing to spend. You said you're considering the Dyna King Barracuda Deluxe, the Dyna King Indexer, or Regal Medallion. I don't see how you could go wrong, since these vises some of the best ever made. I use a Barracuda Junior since it's smaller for travel and also have a Regal non-rotary and these vises are really solid for quality and function.

FWIW it's just my opinion, but if I was making the choice among the vises you mentioned, I'd go for the Indexer. In the Indexer, you get all the features of the Barracuda Deluxe plus the rotating Index for only a few dollars more. The Regal is a super vise, but I feel we're paying a lot extra for the its "regal" look and feel (and the Regal *does* look and feel good!).

Anyway, like I said, these are just opinions - take them for what they're worth. Like I said, these are all top of the line and I think it's hard for you to go wrong with your choice. Have fun with whichever you choose!

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby Paul Arnold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 am

I have had my Regal Medallion (with traditional brass base) for almost 25 years and have never been dissatisfied with it.
Paul Arnold

Postby Paul Arnold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Correction: my Regal is not a Medallion model. Its head is bronze color, not black and has no medallion like the Medallion series. ~Paul
Paul Arnold

Postby mossy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Have used a Renzetti Traveller for probably 13 years without a single hiccup.
St. Vrain River
Big Thompson River
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park
mossy

Postby redband » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 am

I have had a Regal vise for about 25 years, my 3 sons have Regal vises also. (note: my regal vise is really the one I bought for my wife, she does not tie anymore so I got it). Never a hiccup or problem. When I was a Park Ranger at Yellowstone I took tying lessons from Jay Buchner at High Country Flies in Jackson Wyoming (around 1985 or so). He was using a Regal vise back then. Last photo I saw of Jay, he was still tying on a Regal vise. Now, you may not have had the pleasure of knowing Jay, but he has been tying since he was a kid. He started High Country Flies in Jackson back in 1974 (about 5 years after I started fly fishing). High Country Flies and Jack Dennis' shop were the best.

Now you may be familiar with West Yellowstone's Blue Ribbon Flies' Craig Matthews. He has only been around 30 or so years in the fly fishing business. Big time Tenkara fisherman. Next time in his shop, look at his fly tying desk. Yep, a Regal. A while back he noted in a news letter that Jackie bought him a new set of stainless steel jaws for his Regal vise. The new jaws replaced the old style jaws that were over 30 years old!

The two people I hold in the highest esteem for tying flies use the Regal vise.

However I must confess I also own an older Renzetti Traveler vise. I don't use it much anymore. A pain to adjust it to hold the hook firmly. But for certain flies, I still use it for the rotary function.

My suggestion to you is to get the Regal. But, the best idea is to go to your local fly shops and see if you can borrow the various vises you are interested in. If they won't let you borrow them, try using them in the shop or at a fly tying class to determine your preference.

Good luck on your search.

redband in montana
redband

Postby Anthony » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 am

For anybody looking for a vice here's a good rundown for vices in the up to $150 range

http://flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Next

Return to Add-on gear