Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Running Pack to fit fishing gear +?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Running Pack to fit fishing gear +?

Postby Fueco » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on a pack that will hold fishing gear, water filter, food, and basic gear for a 10-15 mile trail run? I'm looking for something that I can run comfortably with, but can carry gear so I can do some high country fishing on remote lakes.

I have several running packs, but none are big enough to hold the rod (I have a Rhodo).
Fueco

Re: Running Pack to fit fishing gear +?

Postby mlkolb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I've personally have had excellent results using the Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra (2014 edition) which even has some cuben fiber that I am very familiar with from backpacking.

Front Bottle Pockets: one has Katadyn Befree for drinking the obviously clean stream water, other has my Tacky Day Box
Left & right Shoulder Pockets: Line Holder, tippet, mitten clamp with scissors, nippers attached to loop with swivel
Hip Pockets: First Aid, Fishing License, ID, Doggie Poo Bags (often bring my Whippet).
Backpack Lashing: Rod, can use elastic loop at bottom to slip around grip and wrap within sock cord of lashing.
Inside Backpack: Varies on the expedition, sometimes lunch, rain/wind shell (sometimes), gorillapod tripod sometimes, etc.

Hope this was helpful!
mlkolb

Postby flyfishbeck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am

I love my GORUCK GR1. They're pricey but bombproof with a lifetime guarantee.
7:3 Willow and Cane (2015)
Runa Hisano Fujin 11.8' (2015)
(Too many Western rods to list.) (since 1990)
flyfishbeck

Postby Arutant » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:16 am

I, too, can not decide the choice. I've already seen many reviews. Now I stopped at this . It remains to make the right choice. What do you say, which is the best?
Arutant

Return to Add-on gear