Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Landing Big Fish

Landing Big Fish

Postby Alex Argyros » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 am

The stream that I fish is stocked with big fish (i.e., many from 17" to 20"). I'd like some advice on landing them. Let's say I'm fishing a Sato rod. If the line plus leader are longer than the rod, it becomes impossible to land fish without grabbing the line with your hand, which is fine with smaller fish but difficult with the large ones.

Any advice about this not so terrible problem would be appreciated.
Alex Argyros

Re: Landing Big Fish

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 am

Hi Alex.

It's even more important that you grab the line to land larger fish than smaller ones. It takes pressure off of the rod that could cause breakage, and with practice you'll have much more control than just horsing them with the rod.

Make sure you're not raising your rod hand high above your head where you'll be pushing the line away from you. Just tilt the rod back or move your rod hand behind you to get the line closer to you.

Also, keep your hands "soft" and don't grip the line too tight, be ready to let the line slide through your fingers if the fish makes a couple last runs, (they usually will if you're trying to get the fish in quickly).

Here's a video Daniel did on landing fish. It's not much different with large fish versus small, but with large fish you'll need to develop more of a feel as to when to grab the line and you'll probably need to be a bit more cautious when handling the line. You'll develop both of those skills with practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9sfNdKLn8
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: Landing Big Fish

Postby Alex Argyros » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:11 am

Thank you, John. That is, indeed, helpful.

Could you tell me approximately how long the line and the leader should be to facilitate what you're describing (I actually do have a Sato). I generally fish small nymphs with a sighter between my line (3.5 level fluoro) and my leader.

Again, many thanks.
Alex Argyros

Return to General technique