Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

A New Possible Presentation Technique

A New Possible Presentation Technique

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed May 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I just finished reading the Presentation Techniques chapter in Daniel's book - TENKARA - and I believe I may have stumbled onto a new presentation technique that was not mentioned there.

I was fishing a stream late last fall that was so low that there was almost no flowing water in the creek, so to get the trout to move to take the fly I had to provide all the motion. The brook trout, for the most part, would not take a stationary fly. The pattern used was a #18 foam beetle pattern. The presentation technique that proved most effective was a super slow draw ( I was fishing upstream) with the rod while tapping my index finger on top of the rod blank right in front of the grip, which gave a quivering motion to the fly that sent out mini-ripples the fish responded to well with all the line held up off of the water.

I believe the same presentation technique could be used with subsurface presented flies as well. You just would not be able to see the action of the fly and fly materials moving in the water as well, but they would still be there. Muted some what by the friction of the water on the line, of course. The timing and force of the taps are easily varied and this technique is much more subtle and easy to control than lifting the rod and/or squeezing the grip with your fingers. Give it a try and see what you and the fish think. Tight lines....Karl.
Last edited by Karl Klavon on Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Klavon

Re: A New Possible Presentation Technique

Postby tsegelke » Mon May 08, 2017 6:49 pm

A nice touch to twitching the fly. Tapping the finger is definitely a way to make it very subtle. I just squeeze my hand at different strengths to manipulate the fly; more (stronger squeeze) or less very subtle squeeze.

Nice idea.
tsegelke

Postby dwalker » Fri May 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Karl Klavon wrote:I just finished reading the Presentation Techniques chapter in Daniel's book - TENKARA - and I believe I may have stumbled onto a new presentation technique that was not mentioned there.

.... The presentation technique that proved most effective was a super slow draw with the rod while tapping my index finger on top of the rod blank right in front of the grip, which gave a quivering motion to the fly that sent out mini-ripples the fish responded to well with all the line held up off of the water......

It was not in Daniel's Tenkara book, which I actually found kind of surprising.
But the guys at Discover Tenkara posted about that technique last Aug.
Writing that they learned it from Tenkara anglers in Japan, however, the anglers there had no name for the technique. John and Paul, for fun & to give it a kind of pseudo Japanese name, decided to call it Ashtapa-zuri. (because it reminded them of someone tapping a cigarette to remove the ash from the end.

http://www.discovertenkara.com/blog/hypnotic-tenkara-fly-manipulation-technique.html

http://www.discovertenkara.com/blog/blog-15.html

;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Karl Klavon » Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 am

The reason I say I discovered this technique by accident was because I only tapped the rod in the first place out of nervous frustration. The fish had been racing up to within a foot of the fly and stopping, to study the fly for a while, and then turning around and going back to where they came from with out even one of them trying to take the fly. With the stationary fly presentation, I was sure I was going to get yet another of many, many refusals. And I wanted that first fish very badly as it was the best fish of the day that I had risen to that point, and the tapping made all the difference in the world in catching fish. It did not work on every trout I tried it on, but it worked out well enough on most of them to give me a 40 brook trout evening that day. It has also proven to be a very effective presentation technique on stillwaters, both on the surface and on subsurface presented fly patterns.

Thank you very much D Walker for the information and video you so kindly provided above....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Postby dwalker » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Well, the DT guys were taught the method by friends in Japan. But there's something good to be said by discovering it independently from your own experience. Effective methods have a tendency to be found by systematic searching or by chance. People still argue about who first discovered calculus, Isaac Newton or Gottfried Leibniz, who both discovered and developed it at about the same time independently. But it was Isaac Newton's form of notation that won out as being most popular. Who can say what other fishing techniques are yet to be discovered.
;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to General technique