Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New to Tenkara! Advice?

New to Tenkara! Advice?

Postby letthewookiewin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I am new to Tenkara and so far have really enjoyed getting out on the streams and rivers near by. However, the problem is that I have come out skunked each time. Is there a secret to fly presentation? Would it be best to use a dry fly or a wet fly (this also helps with another question I have which is what would be best to tie for a new fly tier on a budget)? I have tried both and still no banana. I fish in Utah on either a small-ish river or streams in the mountains with the occasional trip to Jackson, WY to fish the streams in Grand Teton NP.

I really would like to keep this up because I feel that the community is strong and really cares about the environment, particularly streams and rivers. Any advice would be awesome!
letthewookiewin

Re: New to Tenkara! Advice?

Postby brianb2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Not sure I'm experienced enough to provide much insight based on the info you gave. Cold weather is for wet flys. Fish don't surface as often. I don't tie my own flys, so no opinion there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianb2

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello LTWW,

Weclome to the forum. There could be a lot of reasons you're not catching fish. I know it's been unseasonably warm in your reason, but it's still early in the season for trout fishing in the Rockies. If the streams you're fishing are muddy from run off, trout can be tough. I will say when the water is still cold, I prefer wet flies, although tenkara rods do a great job of presenting dry flies when the fish are looking for them.

If conditions are good as far as clarity, etc. it could be a presentation issue, or also an issue with reading the water. If you're already an experienced angler and fishing areas that you've caught fish in before, then it's probably something with your presentation. If you're new to fishing in general, you may need to learn some water reading skill first, (learning where fish in the stream are holding).

If you're looking for some tips on tenkara technique, this is a video Daniel Galhardo (owner and founder of Tenkara USA) did a while back on soome of the major techniques we like to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItgHMloFezs

It doesn't show all the techniques you can do with a tenkara rod, but it does show some of the most consistently effective. For me personally, the dead drift and the pulse are the two most useful.

I'm obviously biased, but I think that our Youtube channel has a lot of great videos, so after watching the techniques video you may want to look around for others that interest you.

For reading water, just do a google search or search youtube for "reading trout water". You may find more than you want, but there will be some good info. Also, Tom Rosenbauer's book "Prospecting for Trout" has helped out a lot of people with this skill, and there are lots of good videos, etc.

Best of luck to you. You live in an area with a lot of great tenkara water. Things should start to click soon.

John
Tenkara USA
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby flyakin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:56 pm

LTWW, you've been given some great advice. The only thing I might add is that I fish wet flies for trout on every outing and only fish dries when I see trout rising on an obvious hatch. Much of what trout eat is subsurface, so much of what I fish is subsurface. Also, with Tenkara, a simple kebari pattern presented correctly in a feeding lane of active trout will likely solicit a strike. I personally enjoy the Simplicity of tenkara fishing and I intentionally take only a few patterns with me so that I focus more on technique and reading the water and less on finding the magic fly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
flyakin

Postby tsegelke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 am

Winter fishing can be very slow. Keep at it and by the time summer rolls along you will be well into the fish. Advice previously given is good stuff.
tsegelke

Return to General technique