Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Dangers of Tenkara???

Dangers of Tenkara???

Postby grampa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:42 am

A fisherman in Japan was attacked by a bear while fishing (with Tenkara?). He managed to save himself by using his karate skills.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/nati ... r-in-gunma

So should we be having tenkara and karate mixed training seminars? Only use tenkara if we have a black belt in karate?

I didn't realize that the gentle art of tenkara could be so dangerous!
:lol: ;)
grampa

Re: Dangers of Tenkara???

Postby dwalker » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 am

I've been aware for 3 or four years that it is common for anglers in Japan who venture onto the more remote streams, or headwaters (Genryū) areas to wear "Bear Bells" to decrease the chances of an unexpected encounter.

What was unexpected was a blog entry I read a year ago on a Japanese tenkara blog. Something totally unexpected. They were fishing a remote stream when they became concerned about the threat from a growing group of monkeys surrounding them sitting in the trees.

They slowly crossed the stream and moved farther down stream. Perhaps aware of Peter Allison's advice, Whatever You Do Don't Run. From what I've read it's rare for monkeys in the wild to attack people, much more common for wildlife park or city monkeys to attack people. However, the blog poster I assume was familiar with monkey behavior where they were fishing and believed it best to slowly vacate the area.

Where I fish/ hike during the summer there are several Black Bears. I've only seen one this year that ran across the road as I was driving home one evening. Twice this summer I have been warned about continuing to hike in a certain direction because a mama bear with three cubs was just seen. Three cubs is quite rare. I would kind of like to see them, from a distance (one local lady setting in her vehicle parked on a bridge told me that mama bear sometime brings the cubs out to the stream in the evenings near a log that could be seen down stream). Butdefinitely not from within the group. Fortunately bears are mostly afraid of people and run away. That is probably helped locally because on many evenings I hear people running bears with their bear dogs during the summer.

Of course one is always concerned about the 1 percenter bear, (or monkey clan), that turns out to be aggressive with a desire to convert you into bear scat. ; -)

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Bobc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Worst I have ever been is the power of suggestion. Many years ago while in a bar in Montana drinking "Jumper Cables" a local asked where we were fly fishing, told him. He replyed," There are a few bears" down there. All next day, had a hangover, every noise spooked me. Never drink Jumper Cables then fish in griz country.
Bobc

Postby Rob Ruff » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 am

Comparisons of bear scat surveyed in the wild by biologists led them to the following conclusions: black bear scat was comprised mostly of berries/vegetation vs grizzly bear scat which contained bear bells and smelled like pepper.

HAVE FUN OUT THERE AND BE SAFE!!!! :D
Rob Ruff

Return to General technique