Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Very tight places for a long rod.

Very tight places for a long rod.

Postby tsegelke » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:24 pm

I recently found myself in some very tight, low hanging canopy headwater with a lot of wild trout in it. I was able to use the Bow and Arrow Cast often into the narrow tunnel and window areas. When the river turned to the side under some trees I found myself having to try new stuff.

Helicopter? No room behind or in other sides of me.
Reach? No back cast.
Bow and arrow? was not able to throw the fly under the overhang.
Roll? not enough room to create the D loop.
Side Arm? too tight to for a back cast in either way.

I was in a very tight place and standing almost in the bushes growing on the bank. I broke off three flies before a new idea hit me.

In my left hand, holding the grip of the rod. I stood facing the other side of the river, with the current flowing from (upriver) right, to left (current flowing to my left). I opened my stance and had my hands even with my feet. Left hand even with my left foot and shoulder, and my right high slightly wider than my right foot and right shoulder. With an almost spey type leveraging of the rod, I was able to start the motion of the line, load the rod and shoot the line in many direction. I could roll the line over the rod tip to flick the file over the rod, I could underhand the fly across the surface and low, and I could flick the fly 45 degree up or down from my position.

Not the traditional cast. Did not have all the control of the drift I typically enjoy with Tenkara. But wow! The places I am now able to cast and put flies even with the ITO!

I am very interested in other methods used to get into very tight, almost impossible spots.
tsegelke

Re: Very tight places for a long rod.

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Sounds like a very good solution to the problem. Not sure if you're into this sort of thing, but I'd love to see a video of the technique. :)
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:27 pm

My Camera only has still shots. I'll try to show it off to some buddies when they have their phones.
tsegelke

Postby gentleshepherd » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 am

I would be interested in seeing it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Return to General technique