Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Sidearm under branches...

Sidearm under branches...

Postby 68camaro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Using my Sato, I was fishing South River in VA today and had trouble keeping line off the water as I needed to cast mostly sidearm due to tree branches over river (where we fished is small narrow river through the woods). The short Sato was a blessing but overhead

I also do not think the fly was dropping naturally in the water and accuracy was pretty bad. I did have a few hits but missed them all, I think there were pretty small also.

Any hints on fishing in tight overhead cover where normal overhead cast is not an option?
68camaro

Re: Sidearm under branches...

Postby Rob Ruff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:18 am

You may have to shorten the line length, if you are using a level line, and use a bow and arrow cast in the tight spots. The bow and arrow cast, when done correctly, will get the fly under overhanging trees. Try it. I was recently fishing a small creek with a great deal of overhanging tree cover. I used several different rods with lengths from 3.3 m to 4.1 m. I was still able to cast using the longer rods by using a bow and arrow technique.
Rob Ruff

Postby tsegelke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:02 am

The best advise I was given in that type of location was slow down, and play with it. Slowing down to look around and think of the casts will make a huge difference of the time in the trees and the time on the water. Second by playing with the creek, I tend to be more creative with my casting and will keep trying to cast into those hard spots.
tsegelke

Postby 68camaro » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks Rob and TS. I looked into the bow and arrow technique and wish I new about it two days ago. This will be very helpful in small tight streams I fish.

TS, yes, patience is a virtue.
68camaro

Return to General technique