Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Techniques Cheat Sheet

Re: Tenkara Techniques Cheat Sheet

Postby zvonx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am

I had a great weekend out on the water. Got a lot of casting practice in and caught a lot of fish...

Although no fish with Tenkara, just my spinning setup.

I would fish a stretch of water with Tenkara then go back and fish it with my spinning setup. This allowed me to still catch fish and not get too discouraged and also get a good idea of where the fish were sitting. When I found good stretches with lots of active fish I would go back with the Tenkara and give it another shot.

I did end up getting a few bites with a kebari finally. One bite I saw and the other, like Daniels podcast on how to make sure you get a bite - to stop paying attention. I was getting hungry so I let my fly and line sit in the water while I pulled an energy bar from my pocket. I was probably imparting a lot of action into my fly and I was trying to tear open the package with my cold fingers - then just as a took a bite I got a strike which of course I missed.

So the questions I have from more time on the water:

When my fly and line is in the water do I want to make sure none of my line is in the water? Should I have the line up high enough off the water so even a little tippet is off the water too? Or is it ok to leave the very end of the tenkara line in the water?

What I found out is trying to keep all of the line off the water so just the tippet and fly are sitting on the surface the wind would often take and move my line around quite a bit - at times pulling the tippet and fly off the water.

When I get a bite or strike - should I feel it? Or would I only feel the most aggressive fish? I've been wondering if I am getting bites but I just have no idea they are hitting?

This fish were very active Saturday. I caught 6 and lost 2. At times I would see multiple fish try to attack. This was only fishing the spinning setup 30% of the time over 5 hours so I know there were plenty of active fish about. Or perhaps these trout just weren't that interested in the kebari...but most likely my technique is to blame.

Also with the spinning setup I could easily reach the areas where I suspected fish to be. It was much harder to reach those areas with the tenkara. I was casting into a lot of headwind fishing up stream so it was a bit of a battle to get the distance I wanted.

On Sunday I hit up a smaller stream, maybe only 10 feet wide which was great practice of casting accuracy and I could reach anywhere I wanted. Even got some practice trying short casts. I saw lots of fish but I suspect I was spooking them. I would see them dart out then turn and run once they reached the middle of the stream. I made sure to stay on the side of the stream where I wasn't casting a shadow but was still standing close to the bank.

One cool moment Sunday...I was fishing a nice, woody stretch. I turned to my right and a bald eagle was sitting starring at me about 10 feet away. Wow!
zvonx

Re: Tenkara Techniques Cheat Sheet

Postby dwalker » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:58 am

zvonx wrote:I had a great weekend out on the water. Got a lot of casting practice in and caught a lot of fish... no fish with Tenkara, just my spinning setup.

..... I was getting hungry so I let my fly and line sit in the water while I pulled an energy bar from my pocket. .... - then just as a took a bite I got a strike which of course I missed.

So the questions I have from more time on the water:
When my fly and line is in the water do I want to make sure none of my line is in the water? .....
What I found out is trying to keep all of the line off the water so just the tippet and fly are sitting on the surface the wind would often take and move my line around quite a bit - at times pulling the tippet and fly off the water.

One cool moment Sunday....... I turned to my right and a bald eagle was sitting starring at me about 10 feet away. Wow!

I can't offer any first hand advice about fishing in winter since I don't fish during the colder months. Most local fish are warm water fish. I don't know where they go but they seem to disappear. I have read some people say in winter fish prefer black or dark colored flies. And I have read that in winter they are spookier, so yeah it would probably help if you can land the fly softly while keeping the tippet off the water.

Sometimes I fish lakes, maybe because they are closer, or because recent heavy rains make the streams to dangerous to wade. Sometimes the catch rate is low, and I will wall along the bank, leaving my line trailing in the water. Not watching it, but watching where I step. And a fish grabs my fly. I try to analyze the fly movement when I was walking, and reproduce it on purpose. No luck thus far getting it right. It's an interesting phenomena where fish take your fly while you're not paying attention. And they don't take your fly when you're giving it your full attention. Some days I think there is an ESP connection between your predator thoughts and the fly that warns off the fish. But when you're not thinking about the fly, the strength of the warning vibes signal diminishes, and the fish grabs the bug. Or so it seems. :?

I generally start my fishing year in the spring, when it is windy. Even when I can keep the fly in the water, by anchoring it with line on the water, it seems like I catch few fish because the wind blowing the line around just makes the fly move unnaturally. On windy days if I can get the wind behind me with spots in the stream where I think fish might be holding down wind. I have had success by letting the wind assist my cast, then letting the wind hold the line and fly just above the water until I dip the rod tip. And as soon as the fly touched the water. I'd get a hit. But that was during warm weather, not mid winter. I guess that method is very close to what is called Dapping.

If you had more success catching fish maybe you would have had a chance to test Mr Bald Eagle's state of hungriness, as this angler did. Fisherman and Eagle disagree over ownership of the fish. :o :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1byd4dlyw

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Previous

Return to General technique