Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

breaking old habit

breaking old habit

Postby basshunter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:26 pm

I stopped on the way home to fish one of are urban lakes .Caught some small bluegill and something big grabbed my fly. I was so used to when using western gear to point the rod at the fish and let a big one run. But not a good idea with Tenkara. I have lost this one and two bass by doing this. How do I break this habit?
basshunter

Re: breaking old habit

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 am

Most of this kind of thing fixes itself with repetition. One of the best pieces of advice anyone gave me about fishing was to fish like you're expecting a strike. That makes it less of a surprise when it happens and a little easier to calmly do what you want to do instead of just reacting in a way you may not want.

My biggest problem is setting the hook too hard. This helps, but I'd be lying if I said I never did that anymore.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: breaking old habit

Postby basshunter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks John that is good advice. I went back to the same pond on the way home again. I was using a rod with 5.5 action and hooked an 8" blue gill that had my rod bent double and I kept the rod tip up.What a blast good little fighter. I sure the more I get into bigger fish it will become second nature I hope!
basshunter

Return to General technique