Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

suggestions for fish 20-30" deep?

suggestions for fish 20-30" deep?

Postby kayak4water » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 am

I'm a newish Tenkara angler. Would you please comment on how I might entice some fish onto a hook? I saw the 15-20" long fish doing "laps" up and downstream about 20-30" below the surface. Certainly they saw me in my black shirt and tan pants. I cast out a killer bugger but it would only sink to 3" deep. I didn't have any split shot with me. My line seemed long at about 16' on a 12' rod for where the fish were about 15-18' away. I would have cut it shorter if I weren't also trying to make an appointment. I was casting a level line 45 deg upstream and across with a 3' tippet. I have a few other flies, like a reverse hackle and some caddis.

It was marvelous to see the fish. It didn't take long to forget the world moving along without me.
Maybe next visit, a little C&R action?
\
Thanks
Jeff
kayak4water

Re: suggestions for fish 20-30" deep?

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Jeff. What kind of water are you fishing? It sounds like you might be in still water, so 20 to 30 inches should be pretty easy to do with a small bead head or tiny split shot.

If you're fishing fast current, it might be harder unless you have some circular currents that will suck your fly deep.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby kayak4water » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:51 pm

John @ Tenkara USA wrote:Hi Jeff. What kind of water are you fishing? It sounds like you might be in still water, so 20 to 30 inches should be pretty easy to do with a small bead head or tiny split shot.

If you're fishing fast current, it might be harder unless you have some circular currents that will suck your fly deep.

Thank John
The water runs but I don't know how to quantify the flow. I have 3.5 level line casting a barbless hook on various wet flies in a stream about 20-30' wide.

The ratio of bites to hook sets is very high. Most fish poke and I can never set the hook before the fish leave--other fish (rainbows) set the hook themselves, and I bring them in or they shake the hook. A few times I firmly "set" the hook, pulling a fish up out of the water past me after I reflexly ducked to avoid it. Sometimes I tug on the line as it flows downstream, rarely hooking a fish in the process. We've seen some jack salmon turning on the surface (not that they wouldn't break a 5x tippet) but which also show no interest in the flies. It's all good, but I'm interested in getting some of the bigger girls and boys to bite. It's like a suspense novel, not knowing. I suspect slow reflexes?
kayak4water

Postby Hunt4lyf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Are you tying the flies yourself? If so add some lead under the yarn to help it get deep quick or maybe a tungsten beadhead. If you have the weight you can get it plenty deep.
Hunt4lyf

Postby kayak4water » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Hunt4lyf wrote:Are you tying the flies yourself? If so add some lead under the yarn to help it get deep quick or maybe a tungsten beadhead. If you have the weight you can get it plenty deep.

Thanks Hunt4lyf.
Yes, I tie most flies myself. Tungsten bead? I'll try that, as the split shot I tried since the original post seemed a bit heavy at 0.52 gm for the way I was casting.

Jeff
kayak4water

Postby breininger8663 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm

I agree with John. A small Tungsten bead head nymph (tungsten is heavier than brass) will get down to that depth quickly. I use them all the time. I especially like to use the tungsten bead on a jig style hook like the Hanak H450 BL in sizes 14 and 16. These hooks tend to snag less on rocks, etc.

bruce
breininger8663

Postby tsegelke » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:46 am

You can also cast the fly where the current spills over a rock. The current will push the fly down. Another thought is to cast up river, and stack and keep extra line right above the fly. This will allow your fly to sink further also.
tsegelke

Return to General technique