Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

A couple newbie questions

A couple newbie questions

Postby stringer4 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Howdy all,

I'm new to Tenkara (and fly fishing in general).

I had my first tenkara outing last weekend in Rocky Mountain National Park (not bad for a first fishing location).

I was able to land one fish, but I walked away feeling more confused than I was when I started.

First, I feel like the line is almost too light to be functional. I'm using a furled leader (which I understand is actually heavier than most level lines, right?) and about 4 feet of 5X tippet. Admittedly, it was very windy at the alpine lake I was fishing, but I felt like I had very little line control. I'm used to doing some of the false casting associated with Western fly fishing, so the 10-12 tenkara casting feels very strange to me. I felt like the casts were much less predictable and (obviously) I had a much more limited range than I do with Western style line set-ups.

So I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong with my line set-up? the furled leader is probably around the length of my rod (12'), give or take a couple feet. Is there a heavier level line I should be using for added control?

Lastly, how do you all break down your lines/rods when you're done for the day and ready to store everything? Do you completely remove your level/furled line from your lilian and then wrap everything around a storage spool? I've been leaving everything attached and awkwardly wrapping it around a spool, then running the rod through the spool. It's fine, but I would rather keep the rod in its metal storage case. I know this is a super rookie question, but I haven't seen it addressed in the tenkara videos I've been watching.

I know some people use those Bass Pro clips (or paperclips and rubber bands) that they attach to their rods so they can wrap the line around it quickly. And I know Tenkara USA sells those storage spools, but I'm more wondering about how to break everything down at the end of the day, rather than when you're moving from one fishing spot to another.

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! Much appreciated! Happy fishing.
stringer4

Re: A couple newbie questions

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi and welcome!

Tapered Lines do not do great in windy weather so that may have been part of your issue.

I prefer a stiffer level line on windy days. If real windy try the 4.5 Hi Viz that we sell. If just a tad windy the 3.5 Hi Viz should be fine.

I switch to a more side-arm cast trying to keep the line and rod under the wind. Might help you get the line out better.

I also allow some of the level line to hold onto the water as it helps the line stay out of the wind and helps you load the rod as you cast again with less or no false casts.

The water can help ancor your line down so keep it low if you are working against the wind.

Ultimately you may need to move and and take advantage of the wind if it is really gusty out.

You can also apply more power or force to the casting stroke to power the line through the wind.

I hope this helps!

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:52 pm

One other tip.... larger kebari. If windy... I may resort to our size 8 Oki Kebari or a fly that has a nice heavy larger hook to it. That tad of extra weight may help get the fly out there. As I am traditional, I do not use weights on my line, but may upsize my fly if windy or high fast waters.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby stringer4 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Great information. Thanks TJ!

Any advice or routine you'd recommend for disassembling rod and line at the end of the day for maximum organization and protection of all components? Thanks very much
stringer4

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:45 pm

stringer4 wrote:Great information. Thanks TJ!

Any advice or routine you'd recommend for disassembling rod and line at the end of the day for maximum organization and protection of all components? Thanks very much

Ah, sorry forgot to answer that. Been a busy day here at the shop. :D

I always disconnect my line, wrap around the line holder, and store them away.

I also remove the segments from my rod handle and wipe them all down, let them all air-dry in my bathroom overnight, then re-assemble in the morning and store the rod away in its case.

This way I know all is dry, safe, and ready for my next trip.

Only takes minutes to take the rod down and let it dry, etc....

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby stringer4 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Perfect. Sounds like a great technique. Thanks again
stringer4

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:50 pm

:lol:
You sound a lot like my brother…(he's in Denver)… if your fishing RMNP you must be near enough to attend the Tenkara Summit this fall. That would be a great way to learn from a lot of experienced people. ( wish I could go :( )

Next best move is to hire a guide for a days fishing. I understand there are quite a few Tenkara Fly Fishing Guides around now. When you book your trip, be sure to tell them you're just starting out and want to learn. It will be money well spent.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Return to General technique