Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Ever tried this technique?

Ever tried this technique?

Postby Odamark » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 am

So I was presented with a book, on Father's Day, about techniques for tenkara and rod & reel. The book covers a lot of subjects on tenkara but also includes some thoughts using a western style set up, but the impetus is "Simple Fly Fishing."

One technique that was presented for landing a big fish was discarding the rod, with fish in tow, into the water? So one hooks a big fish and then (I suppose) in an effort to save the rod and fish, you toss the rod into the water, allow the fish to drag it around until tired. Then you retrieve your rod/equipment with a large fish on the other end?

I have never deployed such a technique but I am wondering if others have? I have seen huge carp and salmon landed on a tenkara rod but never witness the discarding of one's equipment, willingly! So have you ever tried this technique? Was it successful?
Odamark

Re: Ever tried this technique?

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am

We really don't recommend this. It's a good way to damage or loose a rod. Here is a blog post Daniel wrote on it and I agree:

https://www.tenkarausa.com/throw-tenkara-rod-water/
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Odamark » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:13 am

John,

Thanks for the link! Don't get me wrong, I am all aboard with Daniel's commentary and advice! The thought of throwing any of my TUSA rods in the water, never entered my mind. I work hard for my equipment and enjoy what I purchase, seems a little odd one would use that sort of technique.

Be very well!
Odamark

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

:o
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby narcodog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 am

I can't believe Mathews advocates this procedure and I have been asked a hundred times if that is what I do, the answer is no. I like others have landed some big fish on my Tenkara rods and have not had a problem landing them. Very seldom do I have move more that a few feet to keep them under control.
narcodog

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:05 pm

:o
The technique works… I've done it twice while fishing in a lake for peacock bass. I was able to retrieve the rod and eventually land both fish… about 2 pound size. Now I must add that we were fishing from a boat so it was easy to follow the bobbing tenkara rod using the electric motor.

I will also admit that both cases were un-intentional… total accidents.
The first time I was just day dreaming along and the fish hit so hard and unexpected it jerked the rod right out of my hand. I'm glad that tenkara rods, unlike regular fly rods and spinning rods… float.

The other time I had landed a schooling fish in the middle of the lake. I laid the rod down on the deck of the bass boat, took the fish off the hook and was having my picture taken…. when suddenly, the tenkara rod came to life, danced across the deck, and dove into the water. Fish on!

It works, but I don't really recommend it.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Return to General technique