Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Strike indications?

Re: Strike indications?

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 am

Tenkara can be argued in many different directions but I think we can all agree that it is a rod, a line and a fly. Given that, I look at the main line to tippet knot for indication of sub-surface strikes along with feel. I'm holding the rod with a gentle grip. Hesitation and or a different movement of line often signal a strike. Trout will sometimes turn and take and often this is signaled by a slowing of the drift...

For many years, on my zero weight fly rod in small mountain streams, I used a system similar to the Thingamabobber. I like it much better. A small styrofoam ball with a hole through it. Tale the tippet and loop though the hole, small piece of rubberband through the tippet loop and pull back through the hole where the rubberband grips the tippet holding the little ball onto the line. It can be adjusted for length/depth. This bobber system holds the fly up a little while it 'ticks' along on the bottom in he flow. You then watch the ball to indicate fish on. The ball jerks or dives much differently than just flowing along. It is this system and different movement that revolutionized my zen nymphing so long ago. This system can also be replicated by a tuft of yarn. I have used it for Tenkara and it feels like you are cheating it works so well. But I rarely use it now...

Now I use a weighted fly and tick that along using the mainline tippet knot as my indicator.

I'm learning more about the different types of fixed line Japanese mountain stream fishing all categorized as "Genryu." Keiryu which is fixed line bait fishing using tippet as your whole line and a split shot in order to sink your hook and be able to cast. Small makers allow your line to be able to be seen. These markers in the old days could be a leaf, a small stick or a flower petal. Now, Keiryu markers are light whispy yarn. A special knot is used to attach to the line and a few are used to show the invisible line.

As I progress in my Genryu and Tenkara, I will try using clear Tenkara lines. This is not what most practitioners do. Most use a colored line. I will also attach a Keiryu marker and trim it small, maybe down to a .5 centimeter. This is not typical Tenkara either but is definitely Genryu technique, much like using bead flys for Tenkara.

The story for me is that I'm always drinking around with different ways to indicate strikes but the best way so far is the end of the mainline tippet connection. Watching that, feeling the kebari tick along on the bottom of the flow.

It's the journey that makes you good at it, practice.
Adam Trahan

Previous

Return to General technique