Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Strike indications?

Strike indications?

Postby tejplunkett » Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

When fishing with Tenkara, what do YOU find is the most reliable indication of a strike? Erratic movement at the line/tippett connection at the surface of the water? A felt pull or tug from the tip of the rod through to the handle? Or both maybe? What causes you to miss that fish? Thanks for your input my friends!
tejplunkett

Re: Strike indications?

Postby 257ROBT » Wed May 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Normally I am watching my line at the point where the tippet and level line connect. I am looking for anything out of the norm at the point. Sometimes the fish bite too fast and you can't hook them. Other times I am simply day dreaming and miss the bite all together. Dale
257ROBT

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 pm

I think I do a little of everything myself but all depends on the water I am fishing.

Example.... small fast moving creek that is not too deep populated by small trout.... I find many really slam the kebari, so if I am dead drifting, that trout tells me with a mighty wallop it is knocking on my door. I hookset both by feel and site of the water line where the kebari is at.

Deep pools that I may be nymphing at.... level line and tippet at water surface.... and if I see it stop, stretch, anything off I hookset.

Fast ripples I often do a pulsing up and down technique so every movement is like a mini hookset so if one grabs, I soon know it is on the line.

But in a nutshell I mostly always keeping at eye on the High Vis line where it meets the tippet and I keep that at water surface. If I see anything off on that line, stretching out, stopping, etc.... I hookset.

For giggles every so often I start a dead drift and I close my eyes and just try to go off of feel.

It is really cool when you don't really on visual things but feel to hookset.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

I place lots of movement on the fly which hooks the fish most of the time. Also I can often see the fly. So when the fly disappears I set. Watching the tippet and or LL twitch sometimes too. With a dry fly he pull and swoosh surface breaks are fun to indicate too. I often miss several fish, but it's all part of it I suppose. A nice way to try things also is index finger on the carbon line tight and feel what you can. Night fishing is really fun being blind, really exciting, except for snags.
Lots of variables. Figuring out what's best for the day and surroundings is a good challenge some days.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby DavidHE » Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Like TJ illustrated, it varies.

On mountain creeks in the summer and fall where fish are rising and eating anything in sight, I watch the fly (and fish if I see them) watching and hearing a fish eat the fly is great. I am always amazed how many fish will at least try for the fly, and where they are hanging out. Not always in the expected places.

Most of my lines I'll tie 6" - 12" of a contrasting color level line or amnesia as a sighter, when nymphing or drifting a wet I can't see, I'll watch for any change in the line. Slowing, stopping, increased tension, or even just a "something is different" feeling.

I've fished some still water ponds past sundown, basically in the dark. The bass were hitting hard enough I could hear a noise in the line and then feel the tug. It was fun and kind of surreal. Landing the fish snapped me back into reality. Those level lines are hard to see in the dark!

I've found fishing with other tenkara anglers, especially exceptionally skilled anglers, has helped a lot. Watching how they cast, drift, and land fish has improved my abilities. Being able to talk to them, pick their brain, and get pointers when fishing myself didn't hurt either. Really sitting river side and observing any fly fisher can improve your skills, whether you're learning skills to emulate or ones to avoid. The tough part is to watch instead of fish.
david
DavidHE

Postby tejplunkett » Thu May 08, 2014 11:21 am

Guys;257Robt, TJ, adventurer and davidHE. THANKS for your input, it will help me and many others! (I think sometimes in our "high-tech" world we get lost in readind the input without giving the output) so I want you to know im looking and reading your comments and I really appreciate you taking time to answer! :)
tejplunkett

Postby tntom » Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 pm

257ROBT wrote:Normally I am watching my line at the point where the tippet and level line connect. I am looking for anything out of the norm at the point. Sometimes the fish bite too fast and you can't hook them. Other times I am simply day dreaming and miss the bite all together. Dale

^
This
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby johnnyv145 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:32 pm

If you are having difficulty detecting strikes and missing hook sets, try using a small Thingamabobber tied to your tippet where it meets your level line. The 1/2" Thingamabobber won't affect casting and can help in the early stages of learning.

A couple of months ago, Erik and I were fishing a tailwater on a windy day and we were missing fish left and right. Erik tied on a Thingamabobber and started catching fish all over the place. The wind was making it impossible to feel or see any line movement.

I persisted in not using the bobber and didn't catch crap.

There is a time and a place for strike indicators.
Even with a tenkara rod.

http://westwaterproducts.com/thingamabobber.html
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Postby dwalker » Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm

johnnyv145 wrote:….., try using a small Thingamabobber tied to your tippet where it meets your level line. The 1/2" Thingamabobber won't affect casting and can help in the early stages of learning.

A couple of months ago, Erik and I were fishing a tailwater on a windy day and we were missing fish left and right. Erik tied on a Thingamabobber and started catching fish all over the place. The wind was making it impossible to feel or see any line movement.

Least anyone think this sort of thing is not done in Japan. It is. And for the same reason, windy conditions.

Here is a post from 4/16/2014 on the tenkarakebari blog:
Titled:
ウキカラ, ukikara , float kara.

から, kara, usually means From. ( sometimes because). Thus, From Float.
Or for another example : 天, Ten. Heaven/Above. + から, kara, from. 天から, Ten Kara, From Above/Heaven.

From the text of the post.
ウキ釣りテンカラ , Uki-dzuri Tenkara, float fishing tenkara.

ウキ釣りニンフテンカラ, Uki-dzuri ninfutenkara, Float fishing nymph Tenkara.

http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=944

Though I must admit my Japanese is not good enough to determine if there isn't some controversy about whether this sort of thing is tenkara or not. Because of some statements that were translated like this:

どうも先入観がありました。Dōmo sen'nyūkan ga arimashita.There was so much prejudice/ preconceived notions. :shock:

ウキカラは、ウキ釣りニンフテンカラではないとのこと。
Ukikara wa, uki-dzuri ninfutenkarade wa nai to no koto.
Ukikara is, float fishing Nymph Tenkara is not a thing. :?

Whatever the case. They are addressing the difficulty of fishing with a dry fly in certain conditions. Getting the fly deep where it is unseen and seem to put some effort into controlling the buoyancy of the float with added weight or size choice. And a choice of whether to use a fixed float or a sliding/mobile float.

水面直下を狙う, Minamo chokka o nerau. I aim for just below the surface of the water .

水, mizu, water
面, Men. surface
下. shita, below/under
直下, Chokka, directly under/just below.

ウキ, uki. float. But often, for some odd reason, it will translate as " rainy season" in a sentence. :? I only mention it should you try an electronic translation of the page and you see rainy season in the text. You might see it in the sentence just below the drawing of the rod, line, float and kebari and you will know it ought to translate as float. ;)

ウキ(マーカー)は移動式と固定式が。。。, Is fixed and mobile rainy season (marker). . .
Note though that if you click on rainy season in the translation window, you will get a drop down list of alternate translations. Among them are float or wet season. :roll:

fwiw,

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Fri May 09, 2014 11:41 pm

I think if you never fail you never learn. So you have a few trips in the wind with no fish. If you keep at it, you'll learn how to fish a kebari in the wind, deep, in fast water; slow water and etc. My point is tenkara is not cane pole fishing with a worm and bobber. It's an active style of fly fishing. Focus on becoming a better tenkara angler and the fish will come. Manipulate the kebari, change the angle of your rod but a strike indicator will only rob your kebari of its fish catching action. I'm not judging, just trying to help out.
Tenkara Elevated

Next

Return to General technique