Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Super Deep Pools

Super Deep Pools

Postby hannaar85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:02 am

Anyone have tips/advice on super deep pools (10ft deep or more)? When currents are available I use those to pull the fly down but when its not there what techniques do you use to get it down that far?
hannaar85

Re: Super Deep Pools

Postby GregM » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 am

Weight, any way you can, especially if it is a short run.

Beadheads, beadheads with tungsten putty on the nose, tandem beadheads, then Bigger beadheads.

Some of my flys are 3X Wide, Heavy, #12s and #10s, with 1/8" or 5/32 tungsten beads.

They may not be traditional traditional kebari, but they do find fish. But then, Dr. Ishigak has been know to occasionally use beadhead kebari as well.

But, a typical "tenkara" rod will have a hard time more than a gram of fly weight. If this is typical water for you, consider something stiffer from the "keiryu" class of rods. Otherwise all you can do is swing a big roundhouse lob.
GregM

Postby hannaar85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 am

I've definitely considered some large beadheads and have fished with them, and i know what you mean if you add to much weight- it does get unothrodoxed casting. I actully wonder if using a traditional fly line that is a sinking line to aid getting it down. I've casted with a saltwater braided fly line before on an Ito and it was super smooth, so maybe the sinking line would work too.
hannaar85

Postby GregM » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 am

The sinking lines sink because they are heavy. Combined with weighted flys, your rod may face the same "overloaded" issues.

But you won't know until you try. Keep us posted.
GregM

Postby tntom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:26 pm

# 8 split shot.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby tntom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:46 pm

This works well also. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4875

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 pm

10 feet? Wow. I skip those pools because a.) I don't want to use split shot with a tenkara and, b.) as Lee Wulff said, "trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water." We don't have to win every time. There's plenty of other water to fish that doesn't require monstrous amounts of weight. I hate casting weight with tenkara rods--just ruins the experience for me. But if you absolutely need to fish that deep, I'd use a Western rod. Tenkara is not the right tool for fishing a 10-foot deep pool just as it isn't the right tool for catching a Marlin. Everything has its application.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby jd_smith » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:14 am

X2
Jason Klass wrote... Lee Wulff said, "trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water."

Now that is a great reference. :D You're right Jason. We don't need to win every time.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Return to General technique