Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New Wading Boots

New Wading Boots

Postby mbolson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28 pm

I am in need of a new pair of wading boots. Anybody have any suggestions on brand, model or sole type?
Iwana 12'
Ito
Rhodo
Sato
Yamame

"When given the choice of 'A' or 'B' always pick 'C'"
mbolson

Re: New Wading Boots

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 pm

I really like my Korker Chromes. Interchangeably soles make it easy to change tread for different waters. So far mine are wearing well.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby rsetina » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Orvis is suppose to come out with a new boot with a new bottom that will stick better. I heard this from one of the salesman at the Pasadena store but he didn't know exactly when it was suppose to be available. He did say he thought it would be in April 2014..

I need new boots too, but I'm going to wait to see what this new one is going to be like.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jd_smith » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

I get a lot of miles out of Simms boots. I like the Rivershed boot best. They also have a new boot called the Vapor Boot that looks interesting because it's lighter and made for active anglers that like to cover lots of ground while they fish. I cover a lot of ground. I don't think they will outlast a pair of Rivershed boots but they look more comfortable to hike and fish in and if I can get just one season out of a pair of boots, they're a good boot in my view.

Patagonia makes some nice boots too. The Rock Grip w/alumabars are getting raves.

Korkers are solid. KGB or Buck Skin's. Both have the interchangeable sole's. Good boots.

You be the judge but, I would stay away from any boot that has a Boa lacing system. If it breaks on stream your screwed. If a normal lacing system breaks on stream you just tie a knot in the lace and go back to fishing. Not to mention the cost of repairing a Boa system compared to the cost of buying new boot laces. Just my .02c

Also some states have banned felt sole's so check to see if you fish in those states before you choose felt as an option.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby tsegelke » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:47 am

I typically go through a pair a season, for how many miles I put on. I would recommend the Simms Freestone. The simms guideboots didn't even last 4 months. I agree with the comments on BOA systems. They also didn't seem to give as much ankle support as lace ups.

Korkers, Orvis, LL Bean, and Cabelas all lasted me about a season, but so far the Freesontes look like they may hold up for a second season.
tsegelke

Postby GregM » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 am

If the car sits in the garage the tires will last a long time . . .

If I get 200 days at 6 hours a day out of a pair of Korker Metalheads I'm a happy guy. With ~170 days on the current pair, the end is in sight.

You'll generally "get what you pay for" with Simms and Korkers. In 2011/2012, when I was just starting, Patagonias were not holding up as well.

YMMV
GregM

Postby erik.ostrander » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Try different brands of boots before you buy, and buy a reputable brand. Like Greg says, "you get what you pay for." So, if you want your boots to last, be prepared to spend money.

At Tenkara Guides we all have different opinions on boots. I like Korkers and Simms, but have had issues with both. Rob and John like Patagonia, but have also had issues. I've had other brands, and they've fallen apart way faster than anything from the previously mentioned brands. No boot is perfect. However . . . Korkers, Simms, and Patagonia boots are the highest quality you can get.
erik.ostrander

Postby johnnyv145 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 pm

I used to sell waders and boots. The biggest mistake people make is that they don't try on lots of different boots before buying.

1. Go to a reputable shop in your area.
2. Bring your waders and the socks you wear when you fish.
3. Don't focus on brand name.
4. Buy boots that fit your foot correctly with your waders/socks.
5. Spend the most money you can afford once you find the boots that fit.
6. Waders and boots are expendable items. They don't last forever. I get about 1-1.5 years out of a pair of boots and waders. I fish quite a bit more than your average dude.

I wear Patagonia boots because they fit my feet better than all the other boots on the market. My choice was driven by fit not brand. I never get blisters, hot spots, heel slippage, or toe bang because my boots fit right.

Proper fit is more important than anything else. Better to have mid range boots that fit correctly than the most expensive pair that kind of fit right.
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Return to General technique