Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Anyone have tips on nymphing?

Anyone have tips on nymphing?

Postby tucker1857 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:34 pm

I've been fly fishing for about 9 years, Tenkara for less than a year, I was wondering if anyone had some quick tips on nymphing or just some tips in general.

Thank you,
Tucker
Keep Calm and Nymph On!

Amago
Iwana
tucker1857

Re: Anyone have tips on nymphing?

Postby rsetina » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Recently I have tried nymphing with my Ito and found that it can work quite well. If I nymph I make sure to use a weighted fly and along with a tungsten weight up on the leader to make sure the fly gets to the bottom if the water is deeper than a couple of feet. I prefer a 4 to 5 foot tippet and I will pull the fly along just a bit faster than the current to help keep from snagging the bottom. Most of my casts will be across and up stream at a 45 degree angle in order to get a longer drift and more control over the drift. Up stream casts are a little more tricky, for me, and I found I don't hook as many fish and the drifts are shorter.

Casting was the tricky part. You'll want to make a open loop on the forward cast, which for me helped keep the fly and leader from tangling. I found that if I tried to keep a nice tight loop the fly would inevitably tangle with the line and I'd have a mess on my hands. The forward cast can be done with no false casting if you let you fly drift all the way down stream where I've found fish will take the fly as it begins to rise off the bottom of the drift, but be careful. If the fish takes the fly, you will pull it out of it's mouth very easily, so if you detect a take, count to 2 before you set the hook. You may still loose the fish, but you'll have a better chance of hooking him.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby tntom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Here is what has worked well for me. 5' of #3.5 level line and 3' of 5x tippet. Cast up stream keep a tight line to feel strike.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby breininger8663 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 pm

I like tntom's approach, sort of czech nymphing style but with a single fly. On a 12' tenkara rod I use 10' of #3.5 level line and 4' of 5x tippet. I really like the gold-ribbed hare's ear nymph, pheasant tail, or prince nymph all tied on a bead-head jig style hook (Umpqua C400BL) in size 14 or 16. I like to do a high stick technique by casting 45º upstream and lift the rod by extending my arm forward and up until the I can clearly see the connection between my fly line and tippet above the water. I use this visual connection as a strike indicator. I follow the drift downstream with my rod tip trying to keep the fly on or very near the bottom. When the fly line stops it's either a fish or a rock and I lift the rod firmly to set the hook. The jig style hook seems to work very well at NOT getting hung up in rocks. I lose most of my flies in submerged branches or wood unseen near the shoreline.
breininger8663

Postby tntom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Short line highsticking on small streams with my 9' Iwana, doubled my hook up on fish in 2013 with nymphs and dries. I like the same bead head nymphs breininger8663 named I have also been doing well with a purple prince nymph sense cold weather hit. When it's cold try purple nymphs. I don't know why they just work just like in the dog days of summer bright blue is a good color.
I love nymph fishing and talking about nymph fishing because I always learn something from whoever I talk with. To me nymphing is the best fly fishing there is. There are lot's of dry fly guys and don't get me wrong I enjoy taking fish on top but not every fishermen can master nymph fishing. I have not mastered it yet but I am working hard on it. There is a art to it that is not learned by lot's of people. That's why there are lot's of fishermen that catch fish in cold weather or when there is no hatch to match.
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby GregM » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

A tight line is what it is all about. I generally fish an "anchor" fly with a 5/32 or 1/8 tungsten bead, with something smaller on a tag, with about 8" of separation, on 6' to 8' of tippet. If I need to go deeper I keep an eye on the kinks in my line.

I too use Hare's Ear, PT, TwentyIncher, and the other standards, but most often use variations on the Zebra Midge - in #18 through#10. They have a thread body, are simple, easy to tie, and fast. (You are going to lose a lot of them, so don't invest to much time or materials.) You want to get to the bottom fast, so don't be shy about big beads on small hooks. I mix them up so I can present different sizes that still go down fast. Some have dubbing collars, some have tails.

(I'm generally fishing water up to 8' deep and 30' to 50' wide. For small creeks a basic Killer Bug will do the trick.)
Attachments
Nymphs.jpg
Last edited by GregM on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregM

Postby breininger8663 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Great information tntom and gregm! I'm gonna tie some of those purple nymphs and also try some zebras. I agree with gregm, a tight line is what it's all about. When you stay in direct contact with that fly you're gonna know when a fish picks it up. I'm sold on nymphing, as we've all read 85% of a fishes feeding is below the surface, and I'd be willing to bump that to 99% in winter. When it's cold, insect activity is low and fish are sluggish. They don't want to have to work too hard to get food so if you can get something that looks buggy down there in front of them they are likely to grab it.
breininger8663

Postby 257ROBT » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:59 pm

I think that the info is pretty spot on! Even the purple nymphs!!! I used one nymph last season. It was a hybrid version of a pink squirrel tied with purple dubbing and a uv pink ice dub collar with a tungsten bead on a size #14 scud hook. I tied it for a joke for my son to use, and it turns out to become my favorite. I do have a lot of faith in the standard pink squirrel as well.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby breininger8663 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Dale, you got a pic of that pink squirrel?
breininger8663

Return to General technique