Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara fishing in brackish water

Tenkara fishing in brackish water

Postby bobkny » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I stay on Hilton Head Island during the winter months. The house I rent, is situated on a brackish lagoon system which hosts many species of salt water fish, including so called sea trout (or weak fish), flounder, and the most popular game fish in the area - the redfish. Redfish are in the drum family and some have been caught in the lagoon weighing well over 30 pounds. I can both fish from shore and from a kayak. Most folks who fish here use bait - mullet, shrimp, and live minnows and other small species like pinfish. I abhor bait fishing. There are some artificial lures like the Gulp series. But I find these almost as obnoxious as real bait. Any suggestions for Tenkara flys or bugs to use for brackish water fishing?
bobkny

Re: Tenkara fishing in brackish water

Postby tsegelke » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 pm

How about a dace fly (small streamer style fly to be pulsed), Shad Darts (another streamer but is very easy to tie), Scuds, or a large kabari. All of these can be pulsed and get some action. There is also the very easy leach patterns.

I've never fished in Brackish water, but these do work well in bass lakes and ponds
tsegelke

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:26 pm

:D
Try this… The "50 Cent Fly"… it's a kind of Crazy Charlie tied with gold flash-a-boo. If you like it light use no bead eye… or bead chain, or even lead eyes if you want it to sink really fast. I use a #10 AH hook.

I've caught all kinds of fish in salt water and fresh water here in Hawaii, cold rivers in Montana, and Alaska.
All fish seem hit it. I like it because the flash of gold makes it's easy to see in the water. It's also cheep to make.
That's how it got it's name… I showed it to our local fly shop and they said… "This thing looks so cheep and easy to tie, we couldn't sell it for 50 cents."
( But now they do sell it… and for a lot more than 50 cents.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby bobkny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 am

Stan Wright wrote::D
Try this… The "50 Cent Fly"… it's a kind of Crazy Charlie tied with gold flash-a-boo. If you like it light use no bead eye… or bead chain, or even lead eyes if you want it to sink really fast. I use a #10 AH hook.

I've caught all kinds of fish in salt water and fresh water here in Hawaii, cold rivers in Montana, and Alaska.
All fish seem hit it. I like it because the flash of gold makes it's easy to see in the water. It's also cheep to make.
That's how it got it's name… I showed it to our local fly shop and they said… "This thing looks so cheep and easy to tie, we couldn't sell it for 50 cents."
( But now they do sell it… and for a lot more than 50 cents.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using some of my bass bugs; but no action. I'll try something gold and flashy that sinks.
bobkny

Postby fishnfan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:01 pm

;) When all else fails go with a woolly bugger
:) Dennis
fishnfan

Return to General technique