Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Bass fishing

Bass fishing

Postby bobkny » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I fish regularly on still water for bass and other fresh water game fish-- mostly from my canoe on small lakes and ponds in southern New Hampshire. I've owned a Tenkara kit for several years, and have even managed to catch a few bass and bluegills on it. My rig is a 13' Ayu which I fish with level line using 4' test mono for leaders. I find the 13' Ayu a little cumbersome fishing from my 12' canoe. I'm thinking of purchasing the Rhodo for use in my little canoe. I know that the Rhodo- in fact most Tenkara rods are designed for small mountain streams, but I think the Rhodo would also work well with my canoe. Also - anyone else have any experience and advice about Tenkara still water fishing from small boats? Finally - good flys for bass?
bobkny

Re: Bass fishing

Postby adventureR » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi bobkny, welcome to the forum.
I like a rod that will easily reach I front and behind my boat to keep the hook away from the back of my shirt. I prefer a long rod to help get the fly first cast and keep the line off the water. It's my opinion the longer rods help present the fly better when sitting in the boat level with the water. The range to the fishing zone can be made up with closing distance in the boat but staying further away has a stealthier advantage.

I've used many larger flies and minnow imitations for Bass. I don't really follow known patterns, I just tie whatever I think might work. Crayfish flies have been fun to play around with when it was warmer. I've caught Bass on a wide variety of flies. Making a minnow imitation fly act erratic seems a good producer.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 am

Many unique flies that you can test!

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/?more=1
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm

adventureR knows Tenkara from a boat way better than me but here what works from my 12' kayak. I like a long rod that way if a fish wants to run I can let it run around the front of the boat. I use my Amago with about a 9' of #4.5 level line and 3' of 4x tippet. I fish a #10 or #8 Sakasa Kebari black and red with grizzly hackle 95% of the time. Cast it and let it start to sink and most of the time (BAM) fish on. Simple. Tenkara.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby bobkny » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm

adventureR wrote:Hi bobkny, welcome to the forum.
I like a rod that will easily reach I front and behind my boat to keep the hook away from the back of my shirt. I prefer a long rod to help get the fly first cast and keep the line off the water. It's my opinion the longer rods help present the fly better when sitting in the boat level with the water. The range to the fishing zone can be made up with closing distance in the boat but staying further away has a stealthier advantage.

I've used many larger flies and minnow imitations for Bass. I don't really follow known patterns, I just tie whatever I think might work. Crayfish flies have been fun to play around with when it was warmer. I've caught Bass on a wide variety of flies. Making a minnow imitation fly act erratic seems a good producer.

Hi - thanks for the advice. I'm glad there are some folks interested in bass in still water. I think, based on your advice, I'll stick with m 13' Alu, and leave the Rhodo to the folks that fish tight streams. I've been using big bass popping bugs with modest success; but I may try some minnow imitations this Spring on my local NH lakes and ponds.
BTW, there is a very good trout lake nearby. It's a deep cold lake. The trout actually kill all the bass. Any suggestions for trout flys on still water. Last year, a kid spin fishing from shore caught an 8 pound trout on a worm.
bobkny

Postby tsegelke » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:10 pm

You may want to try a leach pattern. Just wrap a rabbit fur strip around a hook and leave a strip hanging off the end for a tail. I like to add a little flash, but that isn't necessary.

The Sato will go shorter than the Ayu, and almost as long as well. The new rods are of a higher grade graphite so they are able to be thinner. I haven't tested the backbone to see how it compares to the Ayu, but I think you would like the smooth action and its fee. If you are really looking for a new rod.
tsegelke

Postby adventureR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Like tsegelke says with a Sato rod being firmer could help while mauvering holding the rod closer to the rod tip unsnagging and banacing during awkward movements in the boat. I really like the Ayu, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the Tenkara rods. They all have been great fun to fish with. :)

A fun and effective popper technique I use sometimes with a long line is allowing the line to sink and then moving the popper down deep and allowing it to rise. Very effective lake technique.

I've never caught lake Trout but if they're snacking on Bass = bass minnow imitation flies!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:29 pm

bobkny wrote:I fish regularly on still water for bass and other fresh water game fish-- mostly from my canoe on small lakes and ponds in southern New Hampshire. ... I find the 13' Ayu a little cumbersome fishing from my 12' canoe. I'm thinking of purchasing the Rhodo for use in my little canoe... anyone else have any experience and advice about Tenkara still water fishing from small boats? Finally - good flys for bass?

bobkny wrote:Hi - thanks for the advice. I'm glad there are some folks interested in bass in still water. I think, based on your advice, I'll stick with m 13' Alu, and leave the Rhodo to the folks that fish tight streams......

I've never fished lakes with a tenkara rod from any kind of boat. Only from the shore. Thus I can't comment on what length rod works well from a paddle boat.

otoh - if you find the 3.9 m Ayu rod cumbersome. The Sato rod would give you the option to still fish with a 3.9m rod, same as the Ayu, or go two lengths shorter to 3.6 or 3.3 meters to see if the shorter length works for you. And you might find the lighter weight rod less cumbersome too.

I've had success with lake bass with Tenkarbum's Killer Bugger. Kind of a Mini-me woolly bugger. Catching bass in the 10" to 14" range. I don't catch the bigger bass the guys coming in on boats do you fish the deeper parts of the lake with lures or bait. And I catch my share of Blue Gill, Sunfish and stocked trout with the killer bugger. Though I also have success with other more traditional type flies as well. I think a general thumb rule for still water or slow water flies is to use less hackle than on flies used in fast water.

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby tntom » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm

I have fished this fly a lot on warm water for bass and redeye works great I do use 4x tippet so I don't break off on the strike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daA_qN0vIU4
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I discovered these flies last evening and thought they might look mighty tasty to some lake fish.

http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/14942554/

http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/3326808/

http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/17906699/

Pretty buggy looking in slow water I bet.

Winter is a good time to learn now to tie them.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Next

Return to General technique