Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

General hand holding please.

General hand holding please.

Postby Richard_Barrett » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 am

I've brought a rod called an Iwana 12' 6-4. A 10' yellow braided leader, and 20 meters of 100% fluorocarbon Tenkara line size 4. What do I do with it all?

Should I use the braided leader or the fluorocarbon? If so how much of the fluorocarbon should I use first time out? What about loops and tippets. I have some 4lb line.

What does the 6-4 mean on the rod, and what is the 4 on the Tenkara line.

Ideally I would like someone to reply with exactly what I should do so I can get out and give it a try.

Do I attach a tippet to the end of the braided leader and how long? It has a loop in it. What about the other line, is it just a perfection loop in the end?

Finally, sorry. How do you see a bite? Does the line just stop? How long should my tippet be?

I've look at the videos but it's still not that clear about the above.

Thanks to the kind sole reading this!! :mrgreen: :D
Richard_Barrett

Re: General hand holding please.

Postby scorpion1971 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:04 am

1. Should I use the braided leader or the fluorocarbon?

If you are just starting out I would use the braided leader. It may be easier to cast since your form may be bad. When You get better at casting you may want to switch to the fluorocarbon line.

What does the 6-4 mean on the rod, and what is the 4 on the Tenkara line?

2. The 6-4 is supposed to how how much the rod bends but not always that simple. If I recall 60% of the rod is stiffer than the other 40%. As far as the size 4 on the line, it refers to the thickness. The higher the number the thicker and heavier the line. Size four is about 11# to 15# line size.

3. Do I attach a tippet to the end of the braided leader and how long?

Weather using the braided leader or size 4 kine you need to use tippet. I generally use at least 3' of tippet. It is a personal choice of how much to use. As far as connection to the leader use a loop to loop knot.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I would agree with everything above. Besides that and the video's you've watched, you might try looking our our "about tenkara" page.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php

I'm not sure if we cover how to see a bite on there. Sometimes you do see the line stop or dart, but often I see the fish take the fly. That's almost always the case with a dry (floating) fly and usually the case with unweighted wet flies in clear water.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby bsorkin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Richard_Barrett wrote:Finally, sorry. How do you see a bite? Does the line just stop? How long should my tippet be?

Take a look here. Great resource for beginner.

http://www.tenkaratalk.com/category/ten ... beginners/

Boris.
bsorkin

Postby jd_smith » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm not sure if saw this link in the top left corner. "About Tenkara". This should answer a few of your rigging questions. http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php

Also this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8ywwx91Ec

Level lines are easier to hold off of the water. They are much lighter than the furled one that you have already tried. Start with a level line about the same length as the rod. Use the rigging from the link above.

Furled lines and level lines are not meant to used in conjunction with one another. Use one or the other.

A loop to loop on the furled line tag end is the easiest to attach to.

Your tippet should vary from about 2' to 5' depending on application. 5X or 6X will do just fine.

Quartering your casts up or down works well for keeping extra tension on the line. This will aid in keeping the line of of the water. See your posted illustration.

Also if you search through the "Tenkara Blog" posts you can find a wealth of info to chew on.

Hope some of this helps you out.

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Richard_Barrett » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 am

Guy's.

So very kind of you all to take the time to answer. Thanks.
Richard_Barrett

Postby scorpion1971 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 am

No problem at all. This is what the forums are meant for.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby Reekon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Absolutely awesome replies. I just got my first Tenkara set having only fished with Tenkara one time before. This thread had all the initial questions I had and some great replies. This thread is sticky material in my opinion.

Thanks!

Wes
Reekon

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:42 pm

:D
That all sounds good to me…
Now we just have to get out there and fish.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Paul Gaskell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 am

Paul Gaskell

Next

Return to General technique