Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Noob questions

Noob questions

Postby hopescooter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 am

Not sure if this is the right forum to post under, but here it goes, i've few questions about how to do things right. So I got my tenkara rod about 2 weeks ago, been practicing casts and catching some bluegills so far, no success with trout yet. I've learnt how to tie various knots after watching tenkarausa videos in youtube and figured out most of it.
1. What's the procedure to change flies when you are out in the fishing spot. Do people typically have various tippets already setup with fly each? or you just cut the fly to tippet and replace it with another on same tippet? From the knots videos I've seen, you can't just undo the knot from fly to the tippet?(like in case of level line to lillian)
2. on similar note, do people keep level lines of various lengths and tippets of various lengths in their pack and decide on which one to use based on conditions, stream width, trees and stuff?
3. how often should I be trying out different flies. from what I've gathered if fish is there but not biting, its more of a presentation/technique issue than just trying out different flies? I know its kinda vague question, but how can I figure out its time for change of fly, especially streams up here in SLC area.
4. So i am hestitant to get a full-on waders and I doubt i will ever do any deep wading anyways. I am leaning towards just getting a hip boots from cabelas or something for my wading requirements(cheaper and less hassle it seems). Any suggestions in that area?
*I've never fished until couple months ago and just started tenkara as my first fly fishing couple weeks ago(and have only lost 4/5 flies in the branches so far :mrgreen: )
thanks
hopescooter

Re: Noob questions

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Hopescooter, welcome to the forums and tenkara.

#1.... cut off fly, tie new one on. Use same tippet until it becomes to short to your liking or needs.

#2... I keep 3 line holders in my little pouch. One rod length line level line, one longer level line, and one tapered line. These are all strung up and ready to fish with. With these 3 I am ready for anything. You can always cut the longer line down in a pinch to make a shorty if needed.

#3... I never change flies, or at least not often. I run mine until it is falling apart and needs fixing or replacement. I normally use a size 12 to 14 kebari and I think this fly size is a jack of all trades and serves me well. Every once in a while I need a fly to get deeper faster so I may switch to a large size 8 on a heavier hook. Everyone will have a different story on what they do with flies so it really is, what do you like to do and just do it. I prefer to keep my line in the water so no need to fuss with flies swaps.

#4.... I like to wet wade unless it is cold and winter of course. Wet wading feels great in a hot summers day. If cooler, I have waders plus those Chota Hippies too just in case. Chota Hippies are nice for times you don't want to fully wader up but want your legs and feet dry.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby hopescooter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks TJ, really helpful. BTW i had to order another set of flies + level line. Lost all my fishing gear(except for tenkara rod thankfully) on my last trip out. I will see if local Cabelas here has Chota hippies to try out.
hopescooter

Postby ferrulewax » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

+1 for chota hippies- digi camo (for cool factor) :D
ferrulewax

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm

I do it very similar to TJ, but have a bad habit of carrying too many lines to play with.

How roomy are the hippies cut? I'm still looking for hippers that will fit my tree trunk legs; may have already asked this about the hippies.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 pm

They seem roomy John.

Next years FFShows you should go to the Chota booth and try some on.

Or come out to CA to visit and you can try mine.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby hopescooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 am

So i picked up chota hippies yesterday, have yet to try it out in real water. Does anyone have any recommendation for wading shoes, specifically for rocky streams? I must've fell/slipped in local streams here 4/5 times so far in couple days. thx!
hopescooter

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:00 am

hopescooter wrote:So i picked up chota hippies yesterday, have yet to try it out in real water. Does anyone have any recommendation for wading shoes, specifically for rocky streams? I must've fell/slipped in local streams here 4/5 times so far in couple days. thx!

Two words... Wading Staff. :twisted:

Even though I am stubborn and want to be cooler, I sometimes try to wade without one, but when I faceplant in the H2O, I quickly learn I am not the most sure footed on rocky rivers, so I use my wading staff.

That 3rd leg sure does make things more stable.

I have yet to fall when using a staff but sure have fell and broken things (net) when I don't use one.

As for boots, I love my Korkers Chrome. They have interchangeable soles and I get use out of each sole depending on terrain I am fishing in.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 pm

I rig up similar to TJ, but with a little less gear.

Rod of choice. One level line (can alway cut or tie more on). One traditional about the length of the rod. One spool of tippet for emergencies. One pair of wading boots. Unless the wind chill is cold enough to freeze the water, I just wear my quick dry fishing pants. One pair of sandals to drive home in.

I only change flies when I lose one to the trees or fish, and then I just tie it on to the tippet I have left.

When you find your fly of choice you will probably carry a couple for tree & fish donations, and maybe a size or two, but you won't need much else. Until you find "your fly" don't be afraid to try a few out.

All of this comes down to what makes you comfortable and able to enjoy your day. Some of us are not happy unless we are geared up like inspector Gadget, others more like Tarzan. Enjoy the experience and you will find the items you want and need for your day.

Enjoy the days on the water.
tsegelke

Postby dwalker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 pm

hopescooter wrote:..
1. What's the procedure to change flies when you are out in the fishing spot. Do people typically have various tippets already setup with fly each? ....

Just carry some kind of nippers, I carry small fingernail clippers, cut the fly off near the eye. Tie on a new fly. Early on I had a hard time threading on a new fly and seeing the tippet to tie the knot ( 61 y.o. eyes that haven't had the pleasure of new glasses for 15 yrs.) and I tried the thing with a fly tied onto a length of tippet. It was a big PITN. Hard to keep it from being tangles. You'll soon get the knack for tying on the fly with a knot you like more by feel than by sight.

2. on similar note, do people keep level lines of various lengths and tippets of various lengths ..

When on the water I only carry a very small pack. A large size backpack hip belt pocket with a shoulder strap. { works very well for me. The loops on the pack meant to fit round the backpack hip belt works very well as a place to clip on my forceps. A small dual string zinger clips to a small loop on top center and holds my nippers and forceps.} Just large enough to carry 2 spools with different lengths of LL + tippet. 1 spool of tippet and a small fly box. Lengths of line, weight of line and color of line and tippet carried - depends upon the rod I am using that day and the stream or lake I am fishing. ( I also have a bunch of different spools with different line on them, but they get left in a box in the car, I only carry 2 spools most of the time, sometimes 3, but not often only 2.)

I only use level line. On small streams 3.5 m of LL + 1 -> 1.5m tippet. Maybe a shorter tippet if a lot of canopy. Sure tenkara originated for small stream fishing but I fish lakes a lot, just because they are close and I can fish them when the river is high water following heavy rains or larger rivers, maybe 40 ft across but usually fairly shallow. Therefore I more often fish with longer lines. 4 m -> 6m LL. But 6m LL +1 m tippet not to often, mostly just to try casting the longer line. More often than not I will carry a LL 4 to 5m + 1 m tippet. And lately I've been playing a lot with 3.5m LL + 1.5m tippet on larger streams. But it takes a little practice to get rod tip speed high enough to cast the longer tippet. Often the two spools with have lines of the same length. The difference will be different weight or color. Depending upon light that day some days I can just see a different color better.

3. how often should I be trying out different flies.

I'm not a 1 fly philosophy guy. But over 4 hours of fishing I might not change the fly if I'm catching fish. If not catching fish I probably don't change flies more than twice.

Really I probably change flies most often just because I've tied some new flies and I just want to try them to see how the fish respond. If I have a new fly to try I usually tie it on before leaving home. I fish so infrequently that if I have 4 new flies to try it would take me a month to try them if I didn't change flies while on the water. But if that first new fly is catching fish quickly. Well, testing the others can wait for another day.

Probably 30 - 40% of the time I don't change the fly, I replace it because I lost the one tied on to a tree branch or a fish either broke off the tippet or swallowed it so deep I have to cut the tippet off because I would really harm or kill the fish trying to get the fly out. And big fish with small mouths can swallow a large hook. I've tied flies on larger hooks hoping these small mouthed fish couldn't swallow them, but they do. Most often I use hook sizes 14, 12, or 10. But a Bluegill can still suck down sizes 8 - 4. I've tried these larger sized hooks hoping they couldn't gulp them down deep but they still do. One reason I like to catch bass. With their large mouths I've never lost a fly. :)

4. So i am hestitant to get a full-on waders .... I am leaning towards just getting a hip boots

Might work if you only fish shallow streams or have long legs. I picked up some Chota Hippies at a fly fishing show. I like them. But any stream that is above Creek size you really have to be careful about getting water down the tops. Especially if fishing a day or two after a heavy rain. Lots of places look like they are 27 inches deep turn out to be 33 inches deep. Or more. My nearest river is mostly knee deep to mid thigh. But lots of places where big stones set on the bottom have pools that are much deeper. Or just long stretches where right in the middle of the river it is much deeper, waist deep.

And in a stream with a bit of current , not so high that is is hard to wade in, the water on the up stream side will well up 2 or 3 inches higher than the water level in undisturbed water and you'll get some water down the top. Anyway, I've got short legs and ought to have gotten waders. I often come home with the seat of my pants wet. Occasionally with my upper thighs damp. But only once with one leg damp down to my socks. The Hippies cinch tight at the top and also just below the knee that helps keep the water out if you step into a too deep pool. I've never used hip boots, the heavy rubber type. I have a friend who did once, got them full of water when he fell. Water is heavy and he thought he would drown before getting out of the water. He says he'll never wear them again. ymmv. :shock:

However. They are quite handy to stick the rod handle down the top while dealing with a fish or tying on a new fly.

*I've never fished until couple months ago and just started tenkara

Tenkara is what got me interested again in fresh water fishing. Good luck.

My 2, ah 50 cents.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Next

Return to General technique