Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Catch and release techniqes

Catch and release techniqes

Postby jd_smith » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I found this video clicking around today. I've seen some pretty bad photos and practices on the web, and i'm not trying to point fingers here. I been guilty of bad practice in the past and would guess most of us have. It's just a little info from my friends at Leland Ranch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2PT_bY6fc
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Re: Catch and Release Mortality

Postby GregM » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

http://forum.skagitmaster.com/index.php?topic=330.0

"According to Tufts, factors such as time out of water and length of fight combine to determine a released fish’s chance of survival.

"In his study, “Physiological Effect of Brief Air Exposure in Exhaustively Exercised Rainbow Trout: Implications for “Catch and Release” Fisheries”, Tufts studied the effect of time out of water periods of zero, 30 and 60 seconds for rainbow trout after exhaustive exercise.

"In 57-degree water, after 12 hours of recovery time, the control group-- fish that were held in captivity but not exercised--experienced no mortality. The group not exposed to air immediately after exercise experienced 12% mortality. The group exposed to air for 30 seconds after exercise experienced 38% mortality, and the group exposed to air for 60 seconds after exercise experience 72% mortality.

"7 out of 10 trout died after 12 hours when exposed to air for 60 seconds."

Sobering.

Bring them in fast. Keep them in the water. Be gentle. Send them on their way.
GregM

Re: Catch and release techniqes

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Nice video, thanks for sharing. I like to think I follow most of these tips, but it's always good to be reminded. Underwater pictures of fish have become my favorite. I like the idea of keeping them in the water and think look much prettier in their natural environment.

John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: Catch and release techniqes

Postby jd_smith » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

John @ Tenkara USA wrote: Underwater pictures of fish have become my favorite. I like the idea of keeping them in the water and think they look much prettier in their natural environment.

Can't argue with that. Those are some beautiful pictures.

Much nicer than seeing a dying fish laying in the dirt on a river bank or in somebodys bone dry hand.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Return to General technique