Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Increase hook-sets

Increase hook-sets

Postby mav85 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 am

I have been fly fishing with a Tenkara rod the past two years and have an observation/question I would like some input on.
A typical day on a trout stream for me is about 20-30 strikes, 6-10 hook sets and about 5-7 fish to the hand. I fish with the Ayu (5:5) and typically fish with dry flies just because I love seeing the top water action. Here are my questions:
1. Does the action of the rod impact a solid hook set?
2. What are peoples experiences with the timing of the hook set? It seems when I give the fish a second to take the fly and not rip it out of its mouth, is when I achieve a good hook set.
Basically I just want to increase the number of fish brought in and not just see splashes all day. I understand that sometimes with fishing the surface some of the “strikes” are more investigative than real strikes. Just wanted to get some input on this and see what others experiences are. Thanks!

Mav85
mav85

Re: Increase hook-sets

Postby SamEureka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

Sounds like you need a hook-set mantra. I know that I am super twitchy and even more so when fishing the dries. It's like a panic-jerk the split second I see action on the fly. I end up pulling the fly right out of its mouth before the fish can turn away and give me some lip to set against. Now I force myself to say a mantra before I pull to set the hook. It has more than doubled my rate of hook-sets! It forces you to slow down!

I've also noticed dry flies that are bulky near the gape of the hook (like a Royal Humpy) reduce the rate of set hooks.

Good luck!
//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Re: Increase hook-sets

Postby mav85 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 am

I read that somewhere about the mantra. One guy used "God save the Queen". Sounds like I need to try that. It seems with western fly fishing it's not as much of a problem because there is a little more slack on the water compared to Tenkara that has very little. With western style, by the time you take in the slack you already have the second or two you need for the fish to take the fly.
Thanks for the input!
mav85

Return to General technique