Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Spotted Gar

Re: Spotted Gar

Postby Jason Klass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:00 pm

adventureR wrote:Bite Guard I don't need no stinking Bite Guard! You would think the fish could sense a metal wire. I bet a Bite Guard would cast poorly. Might need a 50' rod to cast one.

Apparently you do because the gar cut through your tippet with its teeth. And a bite guard doesn't necessarily have to be wire. You could just use a few inches of heavier mono without affecting the cast. Most predators going after their prey don't seem to care. They're focused on the eyes and swimming motion. I've caught plenty of large fresh and saltwater fish using both wire and mono bite guards with no problem.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:44 am

I never read about a bite guard till you wrote that Jason. Pretty interesting but I'll just try and keep it simple. The hook set was part of the challenge. I'm sure many adaptations could be used with the rod, line and fly.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 pm

:shock:
Hook ? I use a piece of nylon rope... just comb it out fluffy. No hook needed. (it does take a little time to get the nylon rope untangled from the gars teeth) LOL
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby adventureR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 am

Sorry Stan probably got to long winded in my Gar post, making it difficult to read. The hook is nice to tie the rope fibers to just in case a Bass becomes interested in the knotted mess.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Got out today nicest day of the year. And hooked a few more Gar. Here's one I unhooked. The small Gar put up a fight like nothing else I've caught. Beautiful fish too. Once again I used the gentle pressure to land this fish. My Tamo was a blessing on this day. The only fish I used the Tamo for.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Restewart » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Here is a Gar I recently caught from my yak on the Illinois River near the confluence with Mississippi. They seem to sip the surface on hot, still days for bugs and stuff. It is a lousy picture, but I wanted to get the shot just in case he got away, which by the way he didn't. I grew up fishing for these rascals and other river fish and I must admit, they are fun to catch, but not so fun to release. I sure would like to figure out how to catch those Asian Carp on my Amago!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
Restewart

Postby adventureR » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Restewart you know of the Gar now on Tenkara. The little one I caught pulled me around quite a bit. Leaped several times and hopped out of the net several times. The Gar are very exciting to catch but on a Tenkara rod one must just experience it. Next you should try a double hook set up and catch a team of Sunfish. Really fun, like pulling a small dog sled team. The Carp seem less responsive to my efforts. Targeting seeds on the surface or areas where they are taking debris from small log jams seems to be where I hook Carp mostly. They always break my tippet however.

Forgot to mention caught the smaller Gar with the Original Ayu. Handled that fish very nicely.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:49 pm

After a little research into Ayu fishing in Japan I found some interesting things that could be added to the line portion of Rod Line and Fly. If wanting to go beyond simple.

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~y-ogura/shikake/sikak_eg.html

There's some expensive lines that could be added for toothy fish that might add well for sinking a fly too.

Underwater line (Suichuu Ito)

"Very fine monofilament is used in order to keep the strain on the livebait to a minimum. The popular diameter is 74 micrometers (Line No 0.2) to 105 micrometers (Line No 0.4) for nylo= nfilament, and as fine as 33 micrometers (line No 0.04) metal filament has appeared recently.
The nylon monofilament has been very popular and is used by many anglers since it is less expensive, and is reliable. The metal filament is very expensive when compared to the nylon, but is several times stronger, and it sinks in the water very well to reduce loading on the livebait and allow it to swim unhindered for long periods of time.
To reduce cost, as short a length as possible is tied to the aerial line e.g. 2 to 5 meters."

With many adaptations to Tenkara fishing I thought perhaps these could be considered for seeking different species. I had these thoughts while fishing a 100 yard wide fast flowing river with deep pools far beyond the reach and abilities of my rod line and fly.

A couple pretty fish that I was able to reach, while seeing a great many out of reach in clear cool water.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Restewart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:57 am

I will most certainly try the multiple flies and other lines. I love experimentation and luckily have the time as I am recently retired and get to fish every day, literally. I do plan to target gar more often. They are fun! I found my yak ideally suited for a stealthy approach and positioning/repositioning myself after they take the fly.
Restewart

Previous

Return to General technique