-----------------------
Work

Play

http://www.theweavils.com = Music
msteudel

Re: First techniques to try

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm

msteudel,

I'm afraid that you're supposed to actually get out of the craft. I specifically asked a fish and game officer about just standing in a water master and that's what they told me. I was considering buying one at the time and still think they're very nice boats. Not sure all officers would enforce it that way, or that most wouldn't just issue a warning.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Anthony » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:33 pm

JD has the truth of it - casting accuracy. As I have delved into more traditional tenkara (ie unweighted flies and one-fly) I have found that casting accuracy is paramount. When you do not rely on added weight to sink a fly quickly then you must be accurate with your presentation to take advantage of stream dynamics - putting the cast in just where you want it. I always re-cast and re-cast until I put the fly just where I want it. Even if I think that i've put the fish down I keep casting until I hit the exact spot that I want. That practice will pay dividends.

On the small streams that I fish - i'd say the key to success is stealth. Half of that is being sneaky - wading carefully (or not at all), and staying low. The other half is accurate casting. The fewer casts that you have to make to get to the right spot the better chance you have.

I'd then add "pulsing" the fly. Part of that is strike inducement, but I also believe that part of the success of pulsing the fly is hooking fish. Fish take in and then spit out flies faster than you can imagine. Gentle pulses can often result in positive hookups that you may otherwise miss...

just a few thoughts...
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby adventureR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 am

I would say a short Level Line length of the rod & 3' of tippet is a great place to start. Perhaps a bit of stealthy sight fishing so you can see what's going on fish/fly enticement wise. A great many things to try in this post can't wait to see how it goes for you msteudel.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby achilles38 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 am

All great tips! The only thing I would add is keep moving and you'll catch more fish. I tend to cover a lot of river in a day. If nothing is hitting in a spot after several casts, I move on. But then again I also love hiking. Other than that I'd say precise casting to the correct spots after reading the water is key, way more important than fly choice.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

"I'd then add "pulsing" the fly. Part of that is strike inducement, but I also believe that part of the success of pulsing the fly is hooking fish. Fish take in and then spit out flies faster than you can imagine. Gentle pulses can often result in positive hookups that you may otherwise miss..."

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes the pulse actually triggers a bite, but often it's a counter for days when the fish are taking the fly super light. When I'm not in position to see the fish eat, it often seems like there's a fish magically on the end of my line when I fish the pulse.

When the fish are visible, they seem to take the fly on the pause in between the pulse, and often there is no movement in the line or transmission of the strike through the rod. Don't know how the little buggers pull this off.

"Gentle" pulses seem more productive to me, also. Sometimes it's easy to over do it, especially when I'm excited after catching (or missing) a fish, but once I mellow things back out the fish start eating again.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby msteudel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Anthony wrote:Fish take in and then spit out flies faster than you can imagine.

I was up in the Bob Marshall wilderness and we found this deep pool and all these fish were holding against a sheer rock that dropped into this pool. I had a small nymph on and one of those sticky indicators (super sensitive). When I nymphed those fish, the water was sooo clear I could watch the trout inhale my fly and spit it out again without disturbing the indicator and they would do it multiple times. I can see how pulsing could provide some additional hookups that you might not detect otherwise.

Thanks for all the suggestions, can't wait to get my rod and try it out.
-----------------------
Work

Play

http://www.theweavils.com = Music
msteudel

Previous

Return to General technique