Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Picky Popcorn Trout

Picky Popcorn Trout

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm

So I call them popcorn trout. Rising and popping up left and right all around me but man they would not take. Well, actually 2 took but man it seems I could have caught so many more.

Watch the video at the link below to see a quick video I made showing the conditions I had this AM and late yesterday afternoon.

Conditions are a VERY slow moving creek, many small (8" or less) Rainbow Trout, rising all around, but damn they were elusive.

Tried every technique my mind could think of from using the new super lite 2.5# Hi Vis Level Line and trying to keep fly on or close to the surface of the water as I thought the trout were rising and either splashing with a vicious take or slow rises and gulping and they ate their goodies.

Could not tell if what they were eating but my guess small light colored bugs. I tried sizes 18 with hackle trimmed short as that was the smallest I had, some size 14 and 12, and as large as size 8. Tried lite and dark. All flies reverse hackle kebari. Some of my own and some of TUSA flies.

Nothing worked. Pulse. No. Drift. No. Under water 6" or 12", no.

I even tried a dry fly since I never used them and as it was gifted to me, I thought it would be nice to say I tried the fly. Nope. heheehe.

I think the Trout God sent these guys a memo that I was coming and to screw with me. hehehe.

Anyway, I did catch one from this rise yesterday late afternoon. Today I was not as lucky.

Of course I took my business elsewhere and up stream near my favorite little pool I caught this trout pulsing the Ishigaki Kebari. Funny thing is the trout was not but 7 feet from my feet as I pulsed it by before making new casts. Made my morning but this did not work on his buddies downstream.

Anyone have rise like this where little to no one would take.

Makes harder to present when there is little to no flow so slow creek.

Was fun still.

TJ

Here is a link to my video.
http://youtu.be/FhkcaNoK6O8

Here is a picture of the one trout upstream that enjoyed my morning cup-O-joe with.
Attachments
Trout 4-28-13.JPG
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Picky Popcorn Trout

Postby craigthor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Yep last week I had one that kept rising next to a log and I would cast, and he would rise but not take my fly. I even downsized from a 10 to an 14 and nope, did have one attack the 14 when it slipped under then lost him after a brief fight. Now it is just starting to warm up hoping I can land a few and start seeing more risers as the temps start to hold steady.

Craig
craigthor

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Just got back from fishing with Steve Schweitzer, up in South Boulder Creek. It was a REAL tough day. No rising fish at all, and I was only able to hook one fish (Tenkara Diaries coming soon). But, the water was real cold, Steve measured it at 39-40 degrees. Had to work hard and move a lot for my fish. I finally caught it, using a Ishigaki fly. Steve tried a few combinations of nymph/split shot, etc...
The runoff had the effect.

As for the popcorn fish, we had a similar experience here a few weeks ago (the outing I had with Karel, Graham and Denver: http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=4749. Lot of fish rising but only one fish to hand despite our best efforts and the other guys trying all they could. In that situation we moved about 3 miles upstream and caught lots of fish. Sometimes you have to move to another stream/area if you can.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm sure you guys know but you just forgot. Its called "fishin'" not "catchin".
Fish long and prosper ( an old Vulcan saying.)
Stephen McGowen

Postby 257ROBT » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Funny that you talk about trout rising. Yesterday I was on a river called the Tomorrow River, below the town of Amherst, WI. I have fished this river alot and have done ok above Amherst, but below Amherst is a different story ?(they have a dam in town that alot of us would love to see taken out). The river below Amherst has very low trout densities per mile and is your classic freestone stream. Yesterday while fishing I realized that I have never seen a fish rise and take a bug off of the surface! The only time I have seen risers above Amherst is when the Hexagenia limbata are hatching.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby houghland1966 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:52 pm

houghland1966

Postby tsegelke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 am

Nice looking stream TJ,

My first thought was that the fish are feeding on Emerging bugs, and that is why you don't see so much splash. The water is moving slow and they have a lot of time to focus and key on what they are eating. Drag free, keep the fly on or in the top 1-3" of the surface. It's not the size of the hackle, it's the size of the size of the shank that turns them. They have plenty of time to inspect the fly.

My second thought was how small were the fish rising. Those are really small splashes, and the size of the fish might have been to small to take the size of fly you were using. Either way, I could spend hours playing in that section of creek and not care what is caught. You learn a lot in that time.

Nice video.
tsegelke

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

tsegelke wrote:
My second thought was how small were the fish rising. Those are really small splashes, and the size of the fish might have been to small to take the size of fly you were using. Either way, I could spend hours playing in that section of creek and not care what is caught. You learn a lot in that time.

Nice video.

The trout in this creek are normally 5" to about 10" or so. Most between that 5" and 7".

The trout pictured at the bottom of my original post was about 7" to 8" or so and he was caught up stream about 200 feet or so.

The one pictured in this post is the one I caught on opening day on this very rise where my video was made so it is possible to catch these poopers, but they be real choosy.

TJ
Attachments
Trout 4-27-13.JPG

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Those popcorn trout from opening and 2nd day, well I am figuring them out a little bit by little bit. Caught two tonight. Needed to be more stealthy like a ninja, make more delicate casts, with fly and tippet only, and I was able to snag two. Tonight I used Tenkara USA Ito with Ishigaki Kebari size 12. Caught them on the rise. Here are the two of them. One a little chunkier than the other.

Fun Fun Fun!!!

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby achilles38 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am

cool video. I had a similar situation in a lake a few weeks ago. 5-6 trout rising occasionally, shallow still water, none taking my fly. Went through 6-7 different flies and every presentation I could think of and nothing. They actually rose next to my fly to eat something else, but dodged mine. The last fly I put on looked like the smallest green gnat you could tie on to a line, and it worked immediately with 2 fish rising to it, the bigger one getting caught. After that, none of the others would even rise again. Moved on to new spot. frustrating, but still fun to be on the water.
Jeremy
achilles38

Next

Return to General technique