Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Two basic variations for most tenkara techniques [VIDEO]

Two basic variations for most tenkara techniques [VIDEO]

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 am

Been reviewing a lot of the footage I captured while visiting Japan. I'll see if I can work on some shorts from my time there. Uploaded a quick couple of videos on Youtube today:

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Two basic variations for most tenkara techniques [VIDEO]

Postby Satoshi_Abe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Daniel,

I was out fishing this weekend with my amago rod and the 4.5 level line. I was using a 5x tippet and two small nymphs and whenever I would hook a fish, it would break off the tippet. The fish were fairly large, and so i switched to a 3x tippet with the same setup. As i am still a beginner in Tenkara, the techniques are fairly simple and easy to learn. However, I lost about 5 fish because whenever I would hook them, they would take off, and the line would break. How do i avoid this in the future?
Satoshi_Abe

Re: Two basic variations for most tenkara techniques [VIDEO]

Postby tsegelke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello,

In my experience, to land the larger fish you need to turn them. If you let them run in one direction, they will inevitably put too much force in one direction and break off the tippet. What works for me is to change the direction of the force on the fish (change the angle of the rod from one side to the other) more frequently. Ideally I try to get the fish to fight in a circular or figure eight pattern to tire them out and bring them to hand.

Tenkara does not have a real to use the drag to mechanically tire the fish. So we must use the lever force and flexibility of our rod to work for us. Allowing the fish to continue to run in one direction, just allows the strength of the fish and current to build until our line breaks.

It is exciting to land a fish that is heavier than your tippet, but it is not always easy.

Sounds like you had a great day. I hope this helps you land more of them.

Cheers.
tsegelke

Return to General technique