Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Streamers?

Streamers?

Postby Flyannapolis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 am

Does anyone here fish with streamer with Tenkara, if so, how? :)
Flyannapolis

Re: Streamers?

Postby tnitz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

I have tried it but generally the rods I use are too short for very effective use. Here are the factors that work against traditional streamer use (many call a muddler a streamer but I would use it differently with tenkara equip):

1) Streamers tend to be heavy when wet, and relatively large
2) You have a very limited line length or rod swing to work a streamer with

I have fished streamers with a heavy, relatively stiff, 4.5m rod and a furled line, titanium line, or some combo of flouro and a short piece of sinking fly line. That length rod, with rod-length line or slightly longer and room to maneuver the rod without excess vegetation did give me a decent "retrieve" length. The stiffer rod and heavier lines also allowed me to cast decent streamers.

The bottom line, though, admittedly, was (1) I didn't like the rod which was too heavy and too stiff, (2) I didn't like using the lines I had to cast and they were very un-tenkara-like, and (3) I wasn't anymore successful than I had been on wetflies. The whole experience was very un-tenkara-like and I figured that you really needed western fly gear to use streamers well.

I chose instead to just give up streamers. (Again, streamers are a fly, but I am referring here to using streamers as traditional streamers - there are many streamers that could be fished as a wetfly and probably work well).
tnitz

Postby Flyannapolis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 am

Thank you.
Flyannapolis

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 am

I haven't fished streamers, but I have fished up to a size 6 sakasa kebari. They are a little more demanding to cast in terms of timing, but can actually help turn over a long line if you get that part down. I find that sometimes a little bigger fly, regardless of style of pattern, will excite fish when others won't. If you're not into the sakasa kebari flies, you could try some other low profile streamer like older flat wing style or even bucktails. A big muddler is going to be tough.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Kuhlow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 am

I have fished with small (size 10 or so) woolly buggers and small bucktails (ie mickey finns) on my Yamame and they have worked great. The casting is a little different but manageable. However, I would only recommend using these types of flies with a rod that has some backbone. Using too soft a rod or too heavy a fly or both can lead to some ugly casting that spooks the fish.
Kuhlow

Postby erik.ostrander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm

I have fished streamers a lot with tenkara/"fixed line" rods. The stiffer the tip of the rod, the easier to cast. However, by no means could using a streamer be considered "traditional tenkara". You may want to call it "modern tenkara" or "ten colors".

With a line with a lot of inertia, like John's fluoro furled lines, and a cast very similar to a spey cast I've been able to cast huge heavy articulated streamers long distances - like the heavy Kelly Gallup streamers with a 32-40 foot line. Catching a trout on a big nasty streamer with a tenkara or tenkara type rod is awesome.

The cast is very important. Keep the rod loaded at all times. The back and forth motion you usually cast with loads and unloads the rod - bad for throwing heavy stuff. Spey casting is where it's at.
erik.ostrander

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm

:D
That's all I use, streamer flys... mostly the gold flash-a-boo. I can see the fly and the pulsation action really attracts the fish. Weight depends on what you use for an eye. Almost all of the fish we have in Hawaii like a fast or erratic retrieve. If you need to slow down for the bluegill or red devil, the slow sinking flash-a-boo fluttering down is just the ticket. For the peacock bass and barracuda the slight twitching of the rod tip gives the little fly more moves than a Tahitian dancer at a Waikiki Luau.
I have the Amago and Ayu rods and use 13' braided line and 4' of 4# leader.

Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby roverwrecker04 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am

I fish large streamers all the time with a stiffer rod like an Amago. When I say larger I mean things like sex dungeons and peanut envies up to size 2 or large wooly buggers that I have tied myself (with tungsten heads and a copious amount of wire). Sometimes I'll even throw a tandem streamer rig with a light streamer as a trailer. I use 4.5 level line about the length of my rod or even longer and do everything from swinging, dead drifting, or twitching and darting (esp. with the articulated streamers). As far as casting goes, it can be a bit cumbersome at the beginning, but you'll find your stride/stroke. In general, with the heavy stuff, I fling or flick and let the river do the work and pull the streamers under and into those deeper holes and runs. My biggest discovery, particularly in the winter, is that holding a streamer in place in a "fishy" spot for a good 4-10 seconds will produce a surprising amount of hits. Again, this is what works for me in the colder months. I've caught fish EVERYWHERE this way, and its my primary approach on winter tailwaters (yes, South Platte and Blue, too). Just to give you an idea, my girlfriend just caught a 20+ inch bow at Deckers a few days ago on a thin mint, and I hooked into a good 7 or 8 bows and browns in the span of an hour. I even managed to land a few! Anyway, don't shy away from throwing the heavier meat with tenkara; develop your own methods and let those pulsing tenkara techniques translate into streamer success.
roverwrecker04

Postby brianb2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Good read and something I've been contemplating. Time to put some streamers into my box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianb2

Return to General technique