Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Windy Day Casting Techniques & Line Control

Windy Day Casting Techniques & Line Control

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

This last weekend I had the pleasure of fishing in Colorado and on the last day, it was rather stormy and windy up in the mountains where we fished. Along with the occasional spritz of rain or snow, the wind was rather steady and gusty most of the day.

This day offered me a good time to practice casting in the wind, something I normally don’t deal with too much. Not saying California does not get windy but normally if the day is blustery out, I may choose another hobby to play that day.

While in Colorado though it was a day to fish, learn, and have some fun.

What I found worked for me was the following.... use the weight of the water to your advantage while casting on a windy day.

What I mean by using the weight of the water is to have the main line actually casted into and ontop of the water and not offering a tippet/fly only presenatation that you often associate with tenkara fishing.

As you know we need to keep the line out of the wind as much as possible while casting so a sidearm or partial sidearm cast can work well on a windy day, even with a lite 3.5# line. That is all I used on this trip, the 3.5# Hi Vis line from TUSA.

I found if I changed up my casting stroke from a 10-12-10 pattern to a 9-12-9 pattern, I was able to present the fly well enough to catch trout. The casting is not as pretty but I did not care about that. I wanted to catch fish so I was willing to do whatever I needed to do and present a fly to a trout.

I would start with my line on the water so basically the rod at the 9AM position. I would then raise the rod to the 12 position and instead of going back down to only 10AM, I went all the way to the 9AM position so the rod was parallel with the water. Almost a slapping motion with the rod.

What this allowed me to do was cast the line and get most of the end of that line with fly to the water as quick as possible, keeping it from having too much air resisitance. Then once the line/tippet/fly were in the water I would quickly lift the rod up to the normal 10AM position and allow just a little bit of he main line to stay in the water flow while the tippet and fly drifted to my target. At this point I probably had a good foot or two of main line in the water keeping it down.

It is not like tenkara line is real heavy and slapping the water like a western floating line would but having the tenkara line gently slap the water allowed me to stay away from trees and other fly stealing areas with it being so windy.

On a calm day I prefer to offer just tippet, fly, and maybe a little main line right at the waters edge to somewhat use as a indicator but on windy days I am not afraid to leave a good couple of feet of main line in the water as this method worked for me.

Anyone else have good windy day techniques?

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Windy Day Casting Techniques & Line Control

Postby GregM » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:02 pm

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:This last weekend I had the pleasure of fishing in Colorado and on the last day, it was rather stormy and windy up in the mountains where we fished. Along with the occasional spritz of rain or snow, the wind was rather steady and gusty most of the day.

Anyone else have good windy day techniques?

Ah, yes. Wind in the mountains.
The image below is typical for this time of year in central Colorado.

I predict with Daniel now living in Colorado, designing a good "wind rod" will rise in priority.
Attachments
Wind.jpg
click to enlarge
GregM

Postby Tenkara Guides » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm

A good tapered twisted fluorocarbon line works well in windy conditions. Sometimes I will use a heavier kebari pattern with a shorter tippet.

(I know a dude who makes them)

John
笑山
Tenkara Guides

Postby adventureR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 am

Wind to your back, let the wind take the line and fly. Also the wind can help redirect the cast around a corner.

Find a bluff or wind break to hide behind.

Using gear can help. 4.0 or 4.5, and John's recommendation, especially heavier fly. I remember reading of Bobbers used to help holding the rig in place.

Over power the cast downward, punch through the wind.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:31 pm

TJ, I should have covered the techniques with you while you were here. Not sure you remember but the last pool on the windiest day we all congregated and it was very windy. I needed to cast upstream agains the wind.
Using the Ito, with a 4.5 line, which is what I used that entire day, I just used much more speed on my cast. Also, as Jeremy (adventureR) notes, it is typically best to end the cast much lower, close to the 9/3 o'clock positions. Casting against wind requires much more speed. Sidearm casting will also help. And, if it is too tiring, use the wind to your advantage by changing positions.
While wind is a bit of a pain, the equipment out there is perfectly adequate.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:TJ, I should have covered the techniques with you while you were here. Not sure you remember but the last pool on the windiest day we all congregated and it was very windy. I needed to cast upstream agains the wind.
Using the Ito, with a 4.5 line, which is what I used that entire day, I just used much more speed on my cast. Also, as Jeremy (adventureR) notes, it is typically best to end the cast much lower, close to the 9/3 o'clock positions. Casting against wind requires much more speed. Sidearm casting will also help. And, if it is too tiring, use the wind to your advantage by changing positions.
While wind is a bit of a pain, the equipment out there is perfectly adequate.

Oh I did and do all the above.

Just was bringing my experience here and wanted to see others post.

I often bring up a topic I may have an answer for already but like to start it so all discuss. Maybe someone else can learn from these experiences.

I normally work with the wind at my back but on times I can't do that, I lay the cast at the 9AM as mentioned and also use more speed wipping my casts down.

Just thought it would be good to have a topic like this layed out is all. :D

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to General technique