Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Presentation Problem

Presentation Problem

Postby loafskibum » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

There must be some issue with my fly presentation because I have not hooked a fish yet with my tenkara rod. Possibly the issue is that I am fishing in winter the same spots I have fish in spring/summer/fall with spinners (just started tenkara in Jan.) but I am not sure. I have been out 8 or 10 times with no fish yet! Any thoughts? Thanks!
loafskibum

Re: Presentation Problem

Postby GregM » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Are there fish?
Are you seeing them, flushing them when you wade, watching them feed?

If so, where are they hanging out (behind a rock, tail of a pool, in the riffles), and where in the water column are they (sitting on the bottom, mid-level, a foot below the surface?

Are others hooking up?

More information will get better answers.
GregM

Postby craigthor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:13 pm

GregM wrote:Are there fish?
Are you seeing them, flushing them when you wade, watching them feed?

If so, where are they hanging out (behind a rock, tail of a pool, in the riffles), and where in the water column are they (sitting on the bottom, mid-level, a foot below the surface?

Are others hooking up?

More information will get better answers.

Yep and if you are seeing the fish and they are moving and feeding it may just be a presentation issue. Also in the winter water temps fall and fish slow down. My best days when it is colder out is when it has been cloudy for a few days then have a nice sunny day to stir up the feeding.
craigthor

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:03 pm

The winter is a tough time to catch fish, as mentioned above they slow down quite a bit. What part of the country are you in?
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby Flyannapolis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Are you fishing for trout or ? There should be trout there if that's what you are fishing for. They may be deep so get you fly down. What fly are you using?
Flyannapolis

Postby loafskibum » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks for all of the feedback! I live in Maine and have been fishing some streams that have trout and bass in them using either a Kebari or Killer Bug. I just got casting down and am just starting to work on fly manipulation so that may be where the issue is. No one else is hooking fish in these spots because no one else is fishing them right now, althought I did drive by one spot Saturday and see someone with a western fly rod finishing up.
loafskibum

Postby tiptop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

Smallmouth bass generally don't feed until the water temp. reaches 50 degrees and I've got to think the water temp. in Maine is still below that. Trout will feed in very cold water but you need to put the fly right in front of them sometimes. Also you might want to try a very small nymph or midge for the trout.
tiptop

Postby GregM » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 am

Improve your odds by finding fish you can see. The fish are probably there, but fishing blind can be real frustrating - you don't know if it's you or them, and as mentioned, cold water makes them pretty lazy.

Walk and scout. Find 'em.

Keep it simple. Try a Killer Bug or your favored kebari. A simple tight-line drift is sufficient.
Then try a local simple midge tied as a dropper or off the bend, letting it sink to "fish depth". (especially in the cold water of winter.)
And watch the fish.

If you put them down work on presentation. If they obviously ignore what you present and how you present, get creative on some basic fly combinations. Be sure you are deep enough to drift into their nose.

Generally speaking if the fish are there, and they are feeding, a KB or SK will do the trick, regardless of your (reasonable) presentation. I speak from experience here, and thank a Lot of gratuitous fish for sustaining my interest during my (ongoing) learning phase.
GregM

Postby OutdoorsBen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

I'm in New England as well and it hasn't been much easier for me so far. I've only got out a few times at best but i've been met with similar results. As i'm sure you know it'll be high water and mud season for you pretty soon. The fishing will really open up after that. In the fall those brookies will be real hungry during spawn. Keep going out to fish and practice on something different each time. Practice casting 1 day, approach the next day, different presentations the next day, etc... That'll make you a better angler when the fish strap on the feed bag.

P.S. I'm heading out now to try my luck at some native browns.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby Lance_1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 am

I live in Maine also, I find going to Florida helps me catch more fish. I will be returning to Maine in April and would like to meet up with other Tenkara fishman...
Lance_1

Next

Return to General technique