Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Poppers?

Poppers?

Postby Flyannapolis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi,

Does anyone use poppers for bluegills, bass, etc.? I would think poppers would work well and poppers with a dropper would be fun too. What lines do you use, how much tippet?
Flyannapolis

Re: Poppers?

Postby adventureR » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 pm

I enjoy the Yamame with 15' of 4.5 TUSA chartreuse, and usually 3 to 6' 5x tippet or a 16' furled line. The poppers are fun, very effective and fun to tie.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 am

I fish poppers a bunch with my Amago and Yamame I got to 4x tippet to stop break offs on the strike with bass.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Flyannapolis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for the response. Nice poppers, by the way. What size do you all recommend? 10, 12? Larger, smaller? I just received my 12' Iwana yesterday and am very excited to try it out. The first time out, I may try it our on a pond that holds, bass and good sized bluegills. The water temp is only in the low to mid fifties, so I don't feel there will be much action on poppers now, so I'll try the #12 Amano fiies that came with my outfit.
Flyannapolis

Postby tpalka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

Could you write a bit more about how you fish the poppers?
There is a lake that I fish in the early fall, from a SUP (stand-up paddleboard). The lake doesn't have lily pads, and so I cruise around the lake and cast toward the shallows, working the areas around any structure and ponds. I found it hard to use my tenkara rod there -- even with a longer line, I felt I was getting too close and spooking the fish. So I went back to using a 6wt western rod and staying 40-50 feet from shore.

Using tenkara, do you cast towards shore or lily pads and give gentle tugs to the popper? Get a 10-12' "drift", and then cast and try again?

The lake I fish drops off pretty quick, and since I really fish just the top 1-2 feet of water, I feel limited to fishing out to 15' from shore, most places. But I have little still water fishing experience... Any tips? Thanks,

tom.
tpalka

Postby adventureR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am

I use the small #12 kit in the pic below. The above pic was a worn out version from the below kit. And the little foam roach was meant to be like a crankbait. But works like a popper.
I imagine you could use larger poppers. But at a certain point you'll be throwing the weight of the popper instead of the line. Not as nice casting w/ to much weight. The Bass may enjoy bigger Poppers but I have caught several Bass w/ the size 12s. If you make your own from scratch I'd get some bigger dry fly hooks to keep the weight down.

Tpalka when in the lake on the Paddle Board, try sitting. And paddling towards your destination and slowly drifting into position. Use your paddle as a rudder. The cone of fish vision allows you to get closer low to the water. They won't see you as easily while sitting. And the noise made from the paddle and subsequent eddies are loud. The fish may hear your approach. If you stay reasonably quite where the sound and light disturbances from above are bugs moving around (your popper) then you'll eventually look like a log & noisy bug. I think you'll have more success with a bit more stealth this way. The Paddle Board sounds great for Tenkara!

I like the poppers with current or wind constantly moving the popper into position for another pulse.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tpalka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Thank you for the tips. Yes, sitting down would be a lot stealthier. It's rare that there isn't some wind on the lake, and the paddleboard drifts very easily. I've taken to carrying a 5lb anchor that I can drop in deeper water -- to anchor myself. And it's so addicting to stand up and see where I'm fishing... I was hoping that the cone for fish in shallow water would be pretty limited, but I think you're right -- I'm too visible.

I'll try out your suggestions hopefully in a few months -- our town lake is still iced over, but it has carp and smallmouths that I wanted to practice on :) My 4 y/o son caught his first tiny smallmouth there on tenkara last summer, he was stoked. Photo attached.

Thanks again,

tom.

tpalka

Postby Flyannapolis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Tpalka, you might try a 3 or 4 lbs anchor. I have used a 4 lbs anchor on my 9' Pontoon boat and it holds very well. I don't know what kind of bottom you have in your lake, that would make a difference.

Enjoy!
Flyannapolis

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 am

That's the same kind of popper I use... except AdventureR's poppers look a lot prettier than mine. :roll:
I use to use a single brick bat tied to a piece or parachute cord as my anchor. Cheep and worked for the canoe and the kayak.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Olinelooo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:56 pm

The first time out, I may try it our on a pond that holds, bass and good sized bluegills. The water temp is only in the low to mid fifties, so I don't feel there will be much action on poppers now, so I'll try the #12 Amano fiies that came with my outfit.????
Ali
Olinelooo

Return to General technique