Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

That AH-Ha moment while practicing tenkara casting

That AH-Ha moment while practicing tenkara casting

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I believe I finally had a aH-Ha moment while practicing casting this evening.

This aH-Ha moment meant fast fly presentation and longer pin-point casting that I have experienced to date.

If you have read some of my other threads I have posted side videos of my casting hoping I can learn something from them.

Although I feel my casting is much improved from when I first started tenkara, and has been getting the job done, I want to get better with every trip.

I have felt my casts seemed too slow to get the kebari to Point B. The loop is there, the fly gets there, it just all seemed laxed is all compared to Daniel's casts.

My video showed me something that has greatly helped my casting and I had that aH-Ha moment tonight.

I have been using way too much wrist action!

I decided to straighten my wrist out more than normal and only give the cast a quick short wrist snap now so my casts instead of being on target but slow for fly arrival, the kebari is now propelling much quicker now right on target and farther away using the same length line I have always used.

Time to video myself again on that next sunny day to see if this is what is really happening.

For a 2nd there I felt like Daniel Galhardo, Tenkara no Oni, and Dr. Ishigaki. :twisted:

So tonight I did a more tight 10 to 12 cast with wrist more tight at the 12 position and instead of letting my wrist break during the snap, the snap became a much faster and quick snap as I was taking my rod forward, and wow was the kebari getting to Point B fast, on target, with more of a fly first presentation.

1.5 weeks ago at the recent International Sportsman Expo I watched Daniel cast, I watched Masaki cast, and I watched Justin (one of our local booth helpers) cast. Daniel was in his own league and Justin and I commented on the same thing. We were not sure how Daniel was able to get the cast to his final spot so quick and also how he was able to go past that 10 position and yet his cast still go so far.

I think Justin's cast was like mine. Justin is a tall big dude and he has such a soft cast. He casted nicely and the kebari got out there, but like mine, it took it sweet time.

I am hoping the next time I practice I can do this same aH-Ha casting again and it becomes part of my muscle memory soon. I have been wrist happy for way too long now so might take a bit to stop doing that, but I will try my best to keep up my practice and have more aH-Ha moments.

Nice quick 25' foot casts where fly lands just where you wanted it to, fast yet gentle, is so fun! :P

Anyone else have a aH-Ha moment recently?

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: That AH-Ha moment while practicing tenkara casting

Postby Tenkara Guides » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I try to pick one skill to really work over until there is improvement. I may be lawn casting with a video camera or a day of fishing. I have a written plan and document my progress. Having a skill improvement plan helps with progress. I pick the one thing that I struggle with the most and work on that until it gets better before I move on to something else. The reason people plateau in their skills is because they just do what is easy for them and ignore the hard stuff that needs improving.

My personal goal it to become a great tenkara skills angler. Can't get there by doing the same old comfortable thing every day. Got to stay outside of the comfort zone all the time in order to improve.

One of the best skill improvement tools is to teach what you know to someone else. I have learned so much from teaching clients on guide trips.

My favorite training quote comes from Adam Savage of Mythbusters "Failure is always an option"
I experience a lot of failures, but without them, how would I know that I have succeeded in my quest.

My Ah Ha moment is to have a plan and stick to the plan.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby pechelman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 am

my casting "Ah-Ha" moment happened early this past summer when i was trying to learn how to cast and present flies using my amago with an 18' line and ~5-6' of tippet.

suddenly I had a cast that was just perfect, and I realized something felt different in where my arm and hand ended the cast.

It was a combination of things, but I think its largely driven from the path my elbow takes during the cast. It definitely rises on the backcast and drops on the forward. It makes sense though when you think about western fly casting and wanting to keep your elbow more on a horizontal plane and comparing it with tenkara where you're trying to keep things on a plane somewhere between vert and horz.

In combination with the above, for me it wasnt just about an abrupt forward stop, but more of a gentle reversal to end the forward cast.

Those things really made the fly(s) at the end of my tippet really snap over, penetrate the water super quickly to avoid too much surface disturbance, and kept a tight line even at the very beginning of the drift.
pechelman

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 am

Happy to say I still have that aH-Ha moment this AM.

Before the rains arrive and after taking care of morning business I had to run outside and cast.

It appears my muscles remembered what I did yesterday.

That is a good thing.

Now I just need to remember if I took my allergy pills this AM. :P

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby shimloom » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm

I don't have the Ah ha, but I know when fly fishing, breaking the wrist can steal power from the cast. So it makes sense that more power went to the tip and fly.
Craig
shimloom

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 pm

One of my ah ha moment was when I realized just how little power is needed to turn over the line. I was intentionally trying to under power the cast so it wouldn't turn over, and instead found it turning over better than ever.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Return to General technique