Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Bear bell?

Re: Bear bell?

Postby adventureR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 am

Using bears as fish indicators? Not traditional or is it!

I being grown on the mountain, and spending almost every moment exploring when not in school or asleep. Used to come across bears every now and then. If your quiet enough you'll hear them before you get really close. Every now and then I'd come across hikers on the Appalachian trail. Conversations usually had Bear in them. I always said yes, I've seen a bear. Not thinking they meant that particular day. ;) A few hikers seemed to be more cautious upon departure. During certain times of the year areas should be avoided. In the cold of winter the rocky shelfs higher up for moths and larvae, a little lower were the ground is a bit more fertile blueberry patches. In summer the raspberries are Bear hotspots. They tend to make a lot of noise, while foraging. They are in charge of the forest and let them be. They're not really trying to do anything but eat. Attention to wind direction is also a good thing to keep in mind while traveling. A good dog is also a great companion for detecting danger. I like to feed the birds not the bears.

Our senses are so poor. I have come across many animals, only wish digital cameras were around, and I had one back then. I think Mountain lion would be worse than bear. The big cats are to sneaky. I don't think Bear Bells are called the same thing in Cougar Country they are called Cat Toys. Also this link is always good to have as a back up.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vnwsQaTL ... nwsQaTLUOE
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 am

I fish the Smoky mountain's park a lot and see lots of bears. Had then very close and never had a problem but I always carry my Ruder magnum bear bell. 8-)

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby rmcworthing » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

A few years ago, there was a bear that slept for the winter with his backside hanging out of a log right on Cades Cove Loop in GSMNP. All winter long, people drove by without having any idea there was a full moon out.

Interesting journal article came out in WMS's publication, Wilderness and Environmental Medicine. It was a review of bear encounters. The data suggested encounters have risen with an increase in co-habitation and other forms of desensitization to human presence. One variable that had a statistically significant effect all on its own was the use of bear bells. In other words, as bears become habituated to the presence of humans and the fact they can provide food, the bear bell is no longer a deterrant. Rather, it might serve as a dinner bell.

The study included data collected in the Adirondaks and GSMNP (sorry NY and NC guys).

Tenkara Guides wrote:2011 West Yellowstone MT 2:30 am.
Rob: Hey John, wake up. A huge ass bear just walked past my tent.
John: What!?
Rob: Where's your bear spray?
John: In the truck.

Data also showed that bear spray did little to deter attacks. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying a can at the first place we found the next morning!

Rob

PS - John Vetterli doesn't hang bear bags . . . bears hang John Vetterli bags.
rmcworthing

Postby tsegelke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:51 pm

I typically also travel with a dog, and the smell and sounds of a dog typically are all the deterrent needed.
tsegelke

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm

rmcworthing wrote:Rob

PS - John Vetterli doesn't hang bear bags . . . bears hang John Vetterli bags.

Damn brother, thats funny!

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby tntom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am

I don't want sound fearless or brave because I am not. I remember walking up on a adult bear 2 years ago at the staru of Sam's creek just after first light we stood and looked each other over at 20 yards for about 5 min's till he moved up away from the creek not the best way to start the day. I looked for bears all day that day. But I enjoy seeing bears when fishing the park. I've had 2 swim the river where I was fishing never have got to my camera to get a picture. Maybe it's because I am a hunter I love wildlife and enjoy seeing it in the wild it's part of being where I love to be.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby pechelman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 am

rmcworthing wrote:
Data also showed that bear spray did little to deter attacks.

just curious, because there's a lot of conflicting\biased data out there, but which data are you referring to on this one? (is this the byu study?)

There was a recent study, from missoula I think?, that I'm not saying I agree with, showing spray had higher efficacy over deterring attacks\reducing injuries in comparison to firearms.

What they wont tell you in this study, is what firearms\caliber are in their ~300samples and what bears\areas these things happen in. There was a bit too much whitewashing in what I read for me to take any of it too seriously.

but yea, back on topic
no bells. talk and make a little noise above water that wont spook fish.
be aware of your surroundings\clues.
and if you're really in bear country, carry something, and practice with it. (spray\firearm(s)\etc)
pechelman

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm

I've also heard that bear spray is statistically superior to firearms in effectiveness on bears, but have also not heard enough details of the study to know if I believe it or not. I have also heard that bear spray is more effective on grizzlies than black bears, although that's a little counter intuitive.

I also have two guide friends who have successfully used of bear spray. Steve Hoovler has sprayed at least two grizzlies while guiding back country trips in Yellowstone National Park, and my friend Charlie Napoli sprayed multiple bears in Alaska. Both guys where very impressed with the performance and wouldn't dream of being in bear country without it.

The point about practice is a very good one, and also to make sure your can is fresh. Another friend had a griz encounter while elk hunting two years ago. He pulled fired his spray, but it came out like a pledge bottle. Luckily the bear just sniffed and ran off. Ben now carries a fresh can.

I've also had seals go bad on mine. One time the spray seeped out all over the holster without me knowing it. I got it in my hands and rubbed my nose. The burning was incredible just from that. The stuff is potent and I have faith in it, so long as the bottle works.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby dwalker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm

I suppose one shouldn't let the fear of a bear encounter keep you from going fishing when and where you like.

otoh - bears can show up at unexpected times, like when you' think they were in hibernation, and exhibit completely bizarre behavior. I say be like a Boy Scout and Always be Prepared, for anything.

Who would ever have predicted this weird bear behavior at a photo shoot in BC a couple of weeks ago. :shock: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eryxAcsTcOA

Be Careful out there. Be prepared for anything. Keep your distance. And you'll be OK.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Previous

Return to General technique