Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Bear bell?

Bear bell?

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 am

Just curious who uses a bear bell on their pack when hiking into fishing holes?
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Re: Bear bell?

Postby statikpunk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am

OutdoorsBen wrote:Just curious who uses a bear bell on their pack when hiking into fishing holes?

I have a Bear bell, but I dont think it works right. its made by smith and wesson and just makes these loud BANG BANG BANG noises :lol:

ha seriously though, I dont live in bear country but I do frequent bear country and there is some very two sided arguments about bear bells. those that approve say that it keeps you from suprising the bear, which is often what causes attacks. those against them say that the bell just attracts their natural curiosity and draws them. I dont know which is best, but I know that if I needed a bear bell, I would be backing it up with bear spray, or a big gun, just in case.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby tvdavis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:47 pm

I use two bells -- one on each trekking pole -- when I cross country through Yellowstone. I also open carry bear spray. I have seen a few bears but they all run from me. I'd run from me too since I make a whole lot of annoying noise with those two bells!

-Tom
tvdavis

Postby tsegelke » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

I was fishing this year with a bear for a little while.
attachment=0]DSCN0057.jpg[/attachment]

I still think this sucker was warning all the fish. :lol:

I usually don't think of a bear bell or spray unless in the back country. I should probably be more cautious though.
Attachments
DSCN0057.jpg
tsegelke

Postby dlh62c » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 am

Depends on the location.

When I was a caregiver for my dad, I tied one to his walker. He was a fall risk. When it would ring, I knew he was on the move. I could hear it anywhere in the house.

Its easy to identify Grizzly scat as it contains bells and smells like pepper.

daryl
dlh62c

Postby statikpunk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 am

dlh62c wrote:Its easy to identify Grizzly scat as it contains bells and smells like pepper.

daryl

hah! last time I was in alaska, I cant even begin to tell you how many times I heard this joke :)
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby Tenkara Guides » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 pm

2011 West Yellowstone MT 2:30 am.
Rob: Hey John, wake up. A huge ass bear just walked past my tent.
John: What!?
Rob: Where's your bear spray?
John: In the truck.

True Story.
Tenkara Guides

Postby mossy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 pm

I fish a lot in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, so I always have a bear bell on me. And I yell or sing when I go around blind corners, or while weaving through the willows surrounding beaver ponds. I don't think a bear wants to meet up with me unexpectedly any more than I want to meet up with him/her. If I'll be there for an extended number of hours, or am hiking back a ways, I'll take bear spray, too. It's no fun to see a bear print near the river that still has water standing in it ...
St. Vrain River
Big Thompson River
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park
mossy

Postby OutdoorsBen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm

mossy wrote: It's no fun to see a bear print near the river that still has water standing in it ...

At least you know there is fish in there ha ha ha.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby dwalker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Tenkara Guides wrote:True Story.

So is this one. Andrew Sukra don't need no stinkin bear bell. Just a hiking stick. ( maybe a tenkara pole is a viable substitue )

btw - I'm a little conflicted about posting the link. I avoid the use of the S-word. When I was a teenager and started thinking I could get away with using the S-word for proper emphasis during appropriate occasions. A signal to my parents that my adulthood was rapidly approaching. My grandfather would say, " You know - you just had something in your mouth I wouldn't want to hold in my hand."

I held onto the wisdom being handed down and never developed the habit of using that word and I'm honored to share Pawpaw Raymond's words.

otoh, Andrew never got the memo. And it is a funny story. Tis better to scare the scat out of the bear than be transformed into bear scat.

This short story and film is rated R - for language.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/i-scared-the-hit-out-of-a-grizzly-bear-literally/

I often wonder how many adventurers do make the transformation to becoming a new substance and never return home to make blog post or write books about their funny bear encounter during their last journey?

Oh. To answer the poll. No I do not wear a bear bell. Probably should. Lots of bears where I live.

Indeed. My extended family shares a vacation camp cabin in Pocahontas County, WV. Last spring a lot of family and friends where there. I decided to sleep in my camping hammock at the edge of the woods behind the house.

I noticed a tree , a couple of feet from one of the trees I hitched my hammock to, was missing a lot of bark on one side. Up about 6 feet. I thought that looks like a bear marking. But no worries, over 45 years I had never heard of bears being near the camp. ( the prior worst wildlife encounter was a family of skunks that had made their domicile under the tool shed) , It wasn't till the next day when other relatives arrived that they told me when they had been at the camp two weeks ago to reopen it from winter mode and mow the grass . They had found a couple of piles of bear crap in the yard. So I'm happy Mr Bruin did not check his territory line marking while I slept. I've watched the nature shows about bear attacks, they're not disturbed at all by your screaming while they eat your leg. There's a old joke about a hammock being a bear burrito. At least I hope its a joke and not a proverb. :shock:

:)
d
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Next

Return to General technique