Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New To Tenkara

New To Tenkara

Postby patroutking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi,

My name is James. I am from Western PA (Greensburg). Tenkara is all new to me. I've been fishing all my life but I never tried fly fishing. A couple of years ago I decided to try fly fishing. It's been wonderful and hard at the same time. I pretty much taught myself. I am not that good but I am getting better. I do still have a long way to go and a lot to learn. That is where Tenkara comes into the picture. I'd hear people talk about it or I read something about it. It sounded very interesting so I decided to look more into it. What I came up with is that Tenkara is something that I feel I would enjoy a lot. So I decided to jump in and learn how to do this. I am starting from scratch but this is something I want to do. I know I need some help but this should be a blast.
patroutking

Re: New To Tenkara

Postby tsegelke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Welcome to the Tenkara adventure.

I am largely self taught myself. I found at about the end of the 2nd year things started to click, and it has only been getting better since. Tenkara has simplified the gear, and allows me to focus on what matters: where the fish are, and how to drift the fly.

Cheers and happy fishing.
tsegelke

Postby williamhj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Welcome! I'm brand new as well and have found this a great place to get questions answered.
williamhj

Postby Charlie P. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm

How do? New here myself. Been fishing 50 years but am returning to the simpler reel-less fly fishing.

In my youth I remember you got a three piece cane pole that came with a woolly worm, a black gnat ("dry" at least for the first cast) and a McGinty (that little wet fly bee pattern no one really uses). More recently I had a sailboat and at one marina in Maryland I bought a cane pole and had a blast with poppers and sunnies.

After reading an article on Tenkara in Trout I thought I'd be of the right mindset now to try this.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Return to General technique